development of the PHP bridge

TGM
2005-10-25
2013-04-25
  • TGM

TGM - 2005-10-25

Hi all,

While browsing through the openwfe.org website and sourceforge pages, I didn't find so much info on the PHP bridge. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. The CVS repository shows a PHP entry which is about half a year old. So I'm wondering, what's the current status on the PHP bridge.

And while we're at it, is this 'bridge' supposed to work as a proxy lib? (see http://web.openwfe.org/display/openwfe/2005/02/23/New+developers+around  )

The reason why I ask this, is that I need a workflow solution and my skills are limited to a little PHP.

• John Mettraux

John Mettraux - 2005-10-25

Hi,

I notified Willo of your post.

Meanwhile, feel free to test openwfe-php as it is, it will help enhancing it. You could even help writing some doc (wiki) about it.

Yes, it's a proxy to a running (same host usually) OpenWFE engine + worklist suite.

Best regards,

John

• TGM

TGM - 2005-10-26

Hi John (and Willo),

I hope to use this lib in the coming weeks, I'll try to give any feedback worth posting here.

• John Mettraux

John Mettraux - 2005-10-26

We're looking forward for your feedback.

Best regards,

John

• Willo van der Merwe

Hi,

That would be great. Please do not hessitate to contact me should you have any questions and/or issues with this library.

Some things to watch out for: I'm using PEAR libraries where I can and one that the system requires is XML_Tree 2.0.0RC2 (beta). For various reasons, this package has not and, it now seems, will not be moved out of beta state (released on 2004-05-29), but it is quite stable.

I'm seriously considering rolling out my own or using the dom xml extentions.

Regards,

Willo van der Merwe

• bricerun

bricerun - 2006-02-13

Hello

We are currently looking at OpenWFE as the workflow engine for our new Platform. It is based on PHP5 and PEAR.
      Starting from Willo's code we are rewriting the openWFE-PHP bridge, making it 100% PHP5 compliant with an explicit Class/Interface design.
      Our goal is to submit it to the PEAR community and of course to make it available to the OpenWFE SourceForge project.

What's your opinion about our initiative ?

Congratulations for the fantastic job done in OpenWFE,

Sincerely Yours

• John Mettraux

John Mettraux - 2006-02-13

Hi Brice,

my opinion ? An OpenWFE - PHP bridge is a must, PHP being so widespread.
        Enabling people to build web user interfaces based on OpenWFE and other software tools is a great goal.

It's so bad Willo couldn't do it until the end, maybe he'll ride back at some point, we'll see.

I'll be glad to help you guys.

Where are you based ?

Best regards,

John

• Willo van der Merwe

Hi Guys,

Great to see someone picking up the reigns. As you probably know I wanted to make this a PEAR compliant package too, but I ran into a couple of problems:
        1. The REST interface
        I couldn't figure out a way to slot the REST interface into PEAR. They do have interfaces for web services, but these are all HTTP based. What I found is that the REST interface (as implemented in OpenWFE, anyway) does not comply to HTTP, as far as I could ascertain. I would have had to write my own socket server. I could find a place in PEAR for this.
        2. PEAR
        Stay away from any of the PEAR XML classes: Actually stay away from depending on any PEAR classes, unless they're stable, as development is extremely slow and politics are rife. This is for the largest part why I haven't bothered submitting the PHP classes to PEAR.

Regards

Willo

• John Mettraux

John Mettraux - 2006-02-14

Hi Willo,

good to hear from you again, I guess you're too busy on the code-for-food side.

So how is OpenWFE REST interface not compatible with the HTTP protocol ?
          That would make it a non-REST interface and I would have to fix it.
          When implementing OpenWFE-Ruby I had no troubles using standard ruby http client libs.

It would be great to have your non-compliance report, to maybe fix this.

Best regards,

John

• Anonymous - 2006-02-14

Hi,
          and txs for your return Willo.

1) The REST interface.
          REST, it's a principle/philosophy based on HTTP protocol, therefore it is "compatible" with HTTP. Categorie for this it's "Services_" in PEAR's structure.

2) PEAR-XML
          yes it's slow etc.. but it's not important because with PHP5, XML is includes natively (with great performance and easier use)

Best Regards,
          Arius

• Willo van der Merwe

Hi Arius,

1. I know. I can't remember exactly what the problem was, but I do remember not being able to do it in Apache.

2. I'm not talking just about the XML stuff. There's a lot of other handy classes in PEAR.

• Balazs Pataki

Balazs Pataki - 2006-04-04

bricerun,

what is the status of your proposal of implementing a PHP5 based OpenWFE bridge? Could you proceed with it in the meantime? I may help with development, testing, etc.
        ---
        balazs

• bricerun

bricerun - 2006-04-25

Hello Balazs

Sorry to be so late to respond to you.
          We've spent a lot of time on other aspects of our project, but it's now time to come back to workflow considerations :)
          We still need to make significant progress in our understanding of the OpenWFE engine / process modeling itself (it's difficult to interface something you don't fully understand).

So, that being said, we definitely want to have this PHP bridge version in full object PHP5.
          I think we'll be on track by the 1st of june.

Is this still compatible with your schedule ?

Best regards

Brice

• Anonymous - 2006-02-13

hi, and txs
      i'm working with Bricerun and we are based at Paris-France.

Best regards,
      Vistoon

• TGM

TGM - 2006-02-13

As topic starter I must apologize for the lack of feedback I've given so far. A few weeks ago I tried to dive into it, but it didn't get me anywhere yet. Time is costly and so my Debian server is still waiting for me to fire it up and do some serious work.

I know Willo has used the XML-Tree module from PEAR, but I think this shouldn't be used when basing the new bridge on PHP5, since the PEAR maintainers advise to use native XML handling. See http://pear.php.net/package/XML_Tree

I can't promise any input soon, but I'll be watching the project pages with sincere interest.

Regards,

• John Mettraux

John Mettraux - 2006-02-13

Hi,

thanks for the hint.

Best regards,

John

• bricerun

bricerun - 2006-04-25

OOPs, forgot to mention, we're based in France.
      Brice

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks