Menu

question about communication adapter

Anonymous
2015-12-25
2017-06-29
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-12-25

Hi, I want to know how to implement one vehicle driver(communication adapter) communicate with one real phisical vehicle, in other words, the communication adapter and phisical vehicle at least support which interfaces?

thanks

• Stefan Walter

Stefan Walter - 2015-12-26

Hi. How you implement the communication channel between the vehicle and the corresponding driver in openTCS is intentionally left up to you, as requirements and restrictions in AGV projects can vary. In most cases, you'd probably choose to communicate via a TCP connection, with the packets being transported via Wi-Fi. But you could also use e.g. UDP datagrams via Ethernet, ZigBee, etc..

Basically, the only restriction is that the technology/hardware you use for communication must be in some way accessible from the Java world.

Best regards,
    Stefan

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-12-27

Thanks for your reply. As you say, I  can implement one TCP communication adapter based on the class BasicCommunicationAdapter, my TCP adapter can communicate with phisical vehicle, such as get its position and state and so on,   Am I right?

• Stefan Walter

Stefan Walter - 2015-12-27

That's correct, yes.

If you decide to use a TCP connection, there are some utility classes in the base library that you can - but don't have to - use. Please see the API documentation for the package org.opentcs.util.communication.tcp.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-12-31

Thank you very much!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-06-06

There is not the package org.opentcs.util.communication.tcp in the the API documentation,where is it?

• Stefan Walter

Stefan Walter - 2017-06-06

The implementation classes for TCP communication have been removed from openTCS since 4.0. They were out of scope of the openTCS project. (openTCS is not a communication library but a framework for fleet management.)

In our projects, we implement TCP communication based on Netty (http://netty.io/) these days, so I can recommend looking at that.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-06-06

Thanks ,what about UDP ? Do have a try?

• Stefan Walter

Stefan Walter - 2017-06-06

You could implement communication with a vehicle via UDP, of course. However, you'll want to ensure that message loss is detected and that messages are received/processed in the order they were sent, which TCP would do for you.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-06-28

Another question:if there are several vehicles in the PlantOverview,which correspond to physical vehicles via TCP or UDP,should I develop many communication adapters or only one shared adapter?

• Stefan Walter

Stefan Walter - 2017-06-29

The usual approach is to develop one vehicle driver per vehicle type/communication type.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-06-29

OK.Which one should be the server?The driver or the physical vehicle?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-06-29

OK.Which one should be the server? The driver or the physical vehicle?

Last edit: Anonymous 2018-01-18
  • Stefan Walter

Stefan Walter - 2017-06-29

You are not forced to implement the server on a specific side. When the driver is the client, you have all communication-related configuration data (IP addresses, ports) on the control system side, which sometimes makes handling changes of this configuration easier. In the end, it depends on your requirements.