Raspberry pi and Opensong

Andy
2012-09-25
2021-01-05
  • Andy

Andy - 2012-09-25

Hi people

I've a raspberry pi which I use for Tv/video/sound at my chaplaincy and I
    would love to use the opensong & its library of songs. I have lots of songs on
    my laptop
    Is there a way which i can export the slides to use on the Raspberry pi or can
    I run a webserver from my laptop which the raspberry can read?

• Vwout

Vwout - 2012-09-26

The Raspberry Pi supports Fedora and Debian. You can also try to get Ubuntu
    running, which will allow you to run OpenSong on the small box. Alternatively,
    you can develop you own client and have it connect to OpenSong on the laptop
    using the new automation API which is just released in the latest Beta.

• Jim Rutledge

Jim Rutledge - 2018-03-08

Hi look at PiChordoke for some ideas, or perhaps it's the answer for you.

• Krzysiek

Krzysiek - 2020-12-05

Hi,
    Is there any chance for Raspberry Pi version? Xojo compiler now supports this platform...

• Ed Palmer

Ed Palmer - 2020-12-05

Yes, the Xojo compiler supports it, but so far I have been unsuccessful in getting it to compile — the compiler locks up and has to be terminated manually. I would like to be able to offer a version for Raspberry Pi, so there is still a possibility if I can find what I need to change to get it to compile successfully.

• Krzysiek

Krzysiek - 2020-12-07

It's a pity, that the Xojo compiler need a licence to build, maybe I'll could help with this. ;( I'll be waiting for any good news about it. Thank you for your all best work. Opensong is the best application for presentation and any other doesn't fit for me.

Last edit: Krzysiek 2020-12-07
    • Ed Palmer

Ed Palmer - 2020-12-07

Thank you for the kind words about OpenSong.

If an OpenSong for Raspberry Pi was available, what model Pi would you use? The Xojo compiler requires an ARM v7 or newer (Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 family) and the 32-bit version of the Raspberry Pi operating system. A feature request has been filed with Xojo for 64-bit support, but Xojo have not indicated when or if it will be available.

The Xojo IDE supports running in the debugger without a license. You would need to run the IDE on a different computer and set up the remote debugger on the Raspberry Pi. Compiling to build an executable that will run standalone requires a license, but the license to compile for the Pi only is free upon request by email to hello@xojo.com.

I will be doing some tests in the next few days and I will let you know the results of the tests.

FYI, the version of OpenSong that is in the source/branches/swampcat/APIv2 area of the code repository is the version for use with the Xojo compiler release 2019r2 and newer.

Last edit: Ed Palmer 2020-12-07
  • Krzysiek

Krzysiek - 2020-12-07

Thanks for the explanation. I have RPi 4 with 4 gb ram. I tried original Raspian and Ubuntu arm64 arch. I try to get free licence, and look into your branch. Thanks 👍

• Oon-Ee Ng

Oon-Ee Ng - 2020-12-08

Do note that the experience may be bad, as I'm not sure the compiler would
      optimise for the Pi's graphics card, and even with my Pi 3, once you're CPU
      bound the CPU is... functional (slow). The 4 is supposed to be better but
      you won't even get equivalent performance to a decent laptop CPU from 7-10
      years ago. The magic of the Pi is in non-heavy processes or graphics
      accelerated processes. Not sure if OpenSong is CPU bound.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 12:33 AM Krzysiek kyndek@users.sourceforge.net
      wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I have RPi 4 with 4 gb ram. I tried original
      Raspian and Ubuntu arm64 arch. I try to get free licence, and look into
      your branch. Thanks 👍

Raspberry pi and Opensong
      https://sourceforge.net/p/opensong/discussion/373378/thread/a2e1c0cc/?limit=25#76c8

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/opensong/discussion/373378/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Krzysiek

Krzysiek - 2020-12-08

Ok, I understand, but I think, we could try. I tried the OpenLp package, dediacated for Rp, works very well (but Opensong is much better). I know, Opensong is written in Realbasic, has a diffrent compiler. First we must try to compile, we'll worry about it later :)

• Ed Palmer

Ed Palmer - 2020-12-08

I'm happy to say that I was able to compile and launch OpenSong successfully on an RPI4 with 4 GB memory. I have not tested it beyond a launch and single-screen presentation mode. I can see a few GUI issues that I need to address. The standard x86 Linux build probably has the same issues.

I was surprised that I was able to get the NDI sender running as well and successfully transmitted the presentation content via NDI to another system on my home network.

Full testing, including dual-screen support, will start as soon as I can finish up a couple of other items that are cross-platform issues. I will also test on a 2GB version and a 3+ to see if the performance is acceptable on the less-expensive models.

Thanks for prompting me to take another look at this.

• Krzysiek

Krzysiek - 2020-12-08

Hooray 👏👏👏 You are the best 😃 Thanks for all 👍

• Krzysiek

Krzysiek - 2021-01-05

Happy New Year! I'd like to thank for a huge amount of work on Raspberry Pi version of Opensong! I've installed it on my Rpi400 and it's working very well. There's a some minor issues. Most important is drop-down list of sets isn't appear second time and later. Load performance of images isn't very well, but you wrote, that is under investigation. There is a little bug in search song window, because I can't put a language special characters (like śćłą) into search field. When I create or rename a song or set, there's no problem with this. Maybe you could correct this issues, I'll be very grateful.