Open Song on Android Tablet?

2010-08-25
2015-02-28
  • Bob Frapples

Bob Frapples - 2010-08-25

I saw that it would be difficult to get this on an ipad, what about an android
    tablet?

That would be cheaper yet and really the only reason I would get one.

• mrben

mrben - 2010-08-25

I suspect the difficulties would be the same for an Android tablet as they are
    for an iPad - different hardware running different operating systems, neither
    of which are supporting by RealBasic. It would require a major rewrite for
    either platform.

In an ideal world, you'd want some sort of API that allows for communication
    between devices, so that you could control opensong from another device, or
    have it display output, but it's not built that way. The only one I've seen
    that does is Lyricue, but don't expect that to appear on a tablet any time
    soon either...

• Bob Frapples

Bob Frapples - 2010-08-25

How much work would it be to write an app for Android that would run the open
    song files?
    I am not a programmer but how much would a professional charge to do something
    like that?

• Vwout

Vwout - 2010-08-25

Remoting is being discussed before in the forums. The most straight forward
    approach would be a bonjour like implementation which at itself is platform
    independent.

Your best shot would be ChangingSong. That project uses Python. Android and
    Python won't bite. Apple and Python will (sounds like Genesis :P).

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-04-02

Hi all,
    I have written an Android app for worship musicians to use your tablet as a portable music book for your OpenSong songs. It is not a port of OpenSong, but it is designed to compliment its use in churches.

The app is available on the Google Play Store - search for OpenSong or follow the link below:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet

It is still a work in progress, but it is functional and I am planning on improving it.

In the spirit of OpenSong, it is free!

PS I've bundled my OpenSong songs with the app, but you can use your own by saving them to your SD card/internal storage.

Blessings,
    Gareth

• AliBy

AliBy - 2014-04-14

Thanks Gareth.

I have started using this and it works wonderfully. I tried to add suggestions on your webpage (https://sites.google.com/site/opensongtabletmusicviewer/suggestions) - no luck even after logging in with my Google account. Not sure if you have activated it or whether you prefer using another forum (here or Google Play) to receive comments. I did add some comments on GooglePlay, but am yet to see them reflected.

One question is how you can save songs to your SD Card? Currently the OpenSong folder seems to be only on the internal memory. I am using DropSync and it makes editing or adding songs from the PC really easy.

Great app thanks a lot!
    Alistair

Last edit: AliBy 2014-04-14
  • Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-04-17

Hi Alistair,
    Oops. I forgot to add a feedback form to the website. I've done this now.
    For whatever reason I didn't receive any feedback/comments from Google Play.
    I will look into the option of using the SD card. I think that that app looks for your default documents directory and then uses that, however, I think it does seem to default to internal storage (as this avoids problems is users mount and unmount their SD cards).

Many thanks for your positive comments and I'm glad it is of some use to you. Please feel free to rate the app on the Play store.

• AliBy

AliBy - 2014-04-18

Gareth here are a few things:
    · OpenSong accepts both upper case and lower case tags e.g. [v1] and [V1], OS Tablet only accepts upper case. Means you've got to edit existing songs to make sure they look OK on the tablet.
    · An option to bypass the start screen and go straight to the current set or just start the program would be more efficient. As an initial welcome / configure screen it was helpful, but not anymore when you just want to use it.
    · Is there a way to make the chords a different color? Set internally would be fine for now; custom fonts would be nice later.
    Thanks again,
    Alistair

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-04-22

Fully customisable colours are now available on the app, as is foot switch control. Next plan - nicer fonts!

Blessings

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-05-02

Nicer fonts are now working! 8 to choose from within the app. There are only 3 fonts by default on Android, so I've bundled 5 open source ones with the app.

Enjoy!

• Oon-Ee Ng

Oon-Ee Ng - 2014-05-02

Request, can a swipe right/left gesture be implemented for going from
        song to song in a set?

Also, and I assume this is harder, auto-fit for text so we don't have
        to set our own zoom levels =)

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Gareth Evans thebigg73@users.sf.net wrote:

Nicer fonts are now working! 8 to choose from within the app. There are only
        3 fonts by default on Android, so I've bundled 5 open source ones with the
        app.

Enjoy!

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
        https://sourceforge.net/p/opensong/discussion/373378/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
        https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• AliBy

AliBy - 2014-05-03

The swipe left and right will make things easier for sets. I find that live aiming for the arrows at the top is a little difficult. If there was an option to enable swipe when in a set, you would just use the two icons at the top to access the songs or settings. Some may like it in the normal view too, but I don't see that being as advantageous. Note that those using tablets like the galaxy, with fast access menu on the side can't access the songs using the side swipe anyway as it opens the OS menu. They just use the icon top left.
          I am certainly entertaining a Bluetooth page Turner, but without one yet swiping to the next/previous song in the set will be great.

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-05-05

Hi AliBy and Oon-Ee Ng,

Thanks for the comments. I'll see what I can do! It's really encouraging to hear from others using this.

If I can get the swipe working, I'll need to keep it a little away fro the screen edges to avoid opening up the app menus and any OS menus as well. The swipe could be used for songs in a set, or just scrolling through the alphabetical list, depending on if the user is in set view.

I did try to automatically set the zoom to fill the page but couldn't see an easy way to do this. However, now that the lyrics are written as a table (to allow for nicer fonts) I can see if there is a workaround to this. It would probably be best as an on/off option as some people prefer to have massive fonts and scroll the page instead (likely with the luxury of a Bluetooth pedal!).

For interest I ripped apart an old USB keyboard, removed the small controller board and soldered the contacts of an old footswitch across some of the the controller module connections to act as a page turner. I used this at the evening service at church today and it certainly made moving through the set effortless. I also fancy a Bluetooth foot pedal, but living in the UK, they're quite expensive (when you add in import taxes and shipping). I'm now looking at a mini diy project using an adafruits Bluetooth keyboard board and mounting this inside a pedal. I reckon it'll cost about £30 in total. If I go down this route I'll post up instructions and pictures for others. Another option is to buy a USB pedal, assuming your tablet allows OTG USB connection and you have a USB/MicroUSB adapter (I've seen 3 pedal versions on eBay for about £15). As long as the pedal sends a keyboard command, the OpenSong tablet app will work with it. I've also spoken with PageFlip and AirTurn and both tell me their Bluetooth pedals will work with the app.

Blessings,
            Gareth

• AliBy

AliBy - 2014-05-05

Hello Gareth,
              It will be probably keep things simple if the swipe can be turned on/off. Basically toggling between activating the app menus and swipe. Live it is not easy to quickly aim for a specific area of the screen and it will probably cause more frustration than convenience of not having to tap the icon to open a menu or song list.

That aside, I would love to know exactly what you did to make the USB page turner from an old keyboard!

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-05-06

Hi,

Now have custom tags working and most of the new menu structure done. The swipe is more challenging, but I'm still working on it!
                I'll wait until I get this done before uploading the next update.

For info on the foot pedal, here's a guide I found. I used a mini USB keyboard which made the soldering much trickier. Basically short two contacts together while the USB board is connected to your PC and you have a text editor open. You can change the key by shorting different combinations. Once you are happy with the key choices solder the two ends across a switch. My foot pedal has 2 pedal switches, so I used one common connector wire and two other connection (one for each pedal).

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=ov1oU-G8BOX07AbIp4D4CQ&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Da3NxQ60E72k&cd=1&ved=0CC0QtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHs9_8kfk6BtKQLi5em_F3t1tYalw&sig2=a5QjNebrhKGGIgyG7uDgsA

Gareth

• AliBy

AliBy - 2014-05-12

Can anyone let me know how you use a two pedal control? Does it only control the paging to the next or previous song and you have to scroll down with a finger swipe down/up if the song is longer than the page? Or does it page down before it pages to the right? I'm wondering if it is worth a four button option or if a compact two button pedal will suffice.

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-05-12

The ones I've seen commercially send keyboard controls (e.g. page up, page down, right and left arrow, etc.). That means that it is dependent on the app what the buttons do. I've this app up to be simple up, down, next, previous looking for 4 signals. I could set up another option for buttons that does both (i.e. scrolls down before next page if required, scrolls up before previous page if required).

I must admit, with the autoscale option (assuming songs look OK) I've only used the pedals to move back and forward.

Gareth

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-04-18

Hi Alistair,

I've fixed the upper/lower case tag issue.

The app now only shows the start page when a new version is installed (you can show it again at any point using the options menu).

I've internally changed the font colours for the chords. Allowing completely custom colours would be nice. Expect this in a future upgrade.

The custom font style will require more work, since the chord positioning works fine with monospace fonts (the font currently used), but gets messed up when a different font is set. There is a workaround I have in mind but this will be a bit more of a rewrite!

The upgrade should be live on Google Play in the next few hours. Many thanks for the suggestions.

Blessings,

Gareth

• AliBy

AliBy - 2014-05-03

Hello Gareth,

Thanks for fixing the upper/lower case tag issue. OpenSong also enables custom tags by simply putting text in square brackets. A standard/known abbreviation is converted to the full text (& number if included), other text is just formatted in the same font.

Blessings,

• Gareth Evans

I'll add this! I must admit, that one had slipped by me - I've always put custom tags as a comment line! You learn something new everyday.....

• AliBy

AliBy - 2014-05-03

NEW [OPTIONS] menu layout.

As the current menu has grown over the last few releases it may be good to re-arrange it. The current menu looks like this:

[Options]

Switch Theme
    Increase Font
    Decrease Font
    Show/Hide Chords
    Transpose +1
    Transpose -1
    Use # chords
    Use b chords
    Edit Song
    Delete Current Song
    Create New Song
    Export Current Song
    Show Current Set
    Load Previously saved set
    Help (Online)
    Change Colours
    Change Fonts
    Assign Foot pedal
    Go Back to Start Screen

| - [Show Current Set]

BACK TO OPTIONS
    CLEAR THIS SET
    SAVE THIS SET
    Song 1
    Song 2

Sorting this, here is a proposal. Adding the Menu button as a way to open might also makes sense together with the current right-margin swipe or top right icon.

[MENU]

SET _ _ _ (was "Show Current Set")
    SONG
    OPTIONS

| - [SET]

Song 1
    Song 2
    ___ _ _ _ _ (or Blank Line)
    SAVE _ _ _ (was "SAVE THIS SET")
    LOAD _ _ _ (was "Load Previously saved set" under Options)
    CLEAR _ _ (was "CLEAR THIS SET")
    MENU _
    _ _ (was "BACK TO OPTIONS")

| - [SONG]

Transpose +1
    Transpose -1
    Use # chords
    Use b chords
    Edit _ _ _ (was "Edit Song")
    Delete _ _ (was "Delete Current Song")
    New _ _ _ (was "Create New Song")
    Export _
    _ _(was "Export Current Song")
    MENU

| - [OPTIONS]

Switch Theme
    Increase Font
    Decrease Font
    Show/Hide Chords
    Swipe in SET on/off _ _ (feature wish?)
    Change Colours
    Change Fonts
    Assign Foot pedal
    Help (Online)
    Go Back to Start Screen
    MENU

Last edit: AliBy 2014-05-03
  • Gareth Evans

Seems sensible. Do you think the shorter names are obvious enough - ie explain what they are for? I suppose if they are grouped under these headings, they should be ok.

This might take a little longer to implement, but I can give it a go!

Gareth

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-05-11

Hi all,

I've made the requested modifications. You can now swipe between songs (both in the set and free view), the songs will now autoscale to best fit the available screen, the menu button will now show/hide the options menu, the options menu have be rewritten to group the available options under 'SET', 'SONG' and 'OPTIONS'.

The autoscale and swipe functions can be toggled on/off from the 'OPTIONS' menu.

I've also added a Hungarian translation.

Many thanks for your feedback and helping make this app better!

Changes should be reflected on the Google Play store shortly
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet

Gareth

PS If anyone is interested in improving a translation I can provide you with the English text. The current translations (Chinese, Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Japanese, Polish, Portugese, Spanish, Russian) are all created automatically from Google Translate, so may have errors!

• Oon-Ee Ng

Oon-Ee Ng - 2014-05-11

That's awesome, tried it out and I consider it full-functionality for
      my church's use =). Thank you very very much.

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Gareth Evans thebigg73@users.sf.net wrote:

Hi all,

I've made the requested modifications. You can now swipe between songs (both
      in the set and free view), the songs will now autoscale to best fit the
      available screen, the menu button will now show/hide the options menu, the
      options menu have be rewritten to group the available options under 'SET',
      'SONG' and 'OPTIONS'.

The autoscale and swipe functions can be toggled on/off from the 'OPTIONS'
      menu.

I've also added a Hungarian translation.

Many thanks for your feedback and helping make this app better!

Changes should be reflected on the Google Play store shortly

Gareth

PS If anyone is interested in improving a translation I can provide you with
      the English text. The current translations (Chinese, Czech, French, German,
      Hungarian, Japanese, Polish, Portugese, Spanish, Russian) are all created
      automatically from Google Translate, so may have errors!

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/opensong/discussion/373378/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• AliBy

AliBy - 2014-05-12

Hi Gareth.

The updates are really great. A few comments to put in your bag of thoughts:
      • The swipe is working fine. I'd like to be able to switch off the swipe to song list/menu. On a tablet it is fine, but on my phone I'd just use the icons at the top to get to them as swipe-to-next-song sometimes triggers the menu on the small screen. I'll probable get better wth practice, but just a thought.
      • The Auto scale is a neat feature. When I turn it off, the word wrap no longer works (I think it did before) and some lines will go off the screen to the sides. One option may to have a scaling option to fit the width? Also I am not sure how you generate the scale, but on one song I have a "next column" indicator (three dashes "---") used in OpenSong that makes it print the song in two columns on the page. This may be causing problems with the scaling as it makes this song of mine really small.
      • A comment line ";" is formatted the same as lyrics which can make it difficult to distinguish. If it were the same as the sections font it may be helpful; Can it be italic? Also it seems to be treated as a section as it blocks the section after it in a comment background. I don't think it should be like this as comments can be put anywhere in a song and if inside a section should not then break that section by colouring it differently.

I live in the USA, but I can help with an Afrikaans translation if you can send me a word list.

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-05-12

Cheers Alistair,

The word wrap stopped working when I implemented the nicer fonts as they are drawn as a table that stretches as needed. I added left/right scroll but it isn't ideal. The autoscale option sorts this. I'll add code that'll force width scaling if necessary - should this be a toggle option?

I can change the swipe to be toggle-able for songs and sets separately. Added to my to-do list.

I'll look to fix some of these formatting issues in the next update (new page and column tags). I'll send you the text file once I've made the changes to the menu options.

Gareth

• AliBy

AliBy - 2014-05-12

Hi Gareth,

Toggle on width scaling may be a good approach as some might not want it. Although I expect 90% of folk will appreciate the fact that the song lines will always fit and they won't miss some stray word.

Having Swipe toggle-able on songs and sets separately may be helpful. However, the pressing issue for me is to have the ability to disable accessing the song list and the options menu by touching the Left and Right edge of the screen respectively. A swipe left to go to the previous song sometimes causes the list of songs (in my Song folder) to appear. When I try make it go away chances are good I advance o the next song. If that is disabled you can still access them using the OpenSong icon or the Menu icon at the top of the screen.

• Andreas Böhrnsen

Hi Gareth,

have not tried your app yet, but this is great! I have tried to do the same for iPad with iOpenSongs but am struggeling a bit with finding time to work on it.

I wish you all the best for the app. This is surely a big blessing for people with Android devices! Thanks a lot for your efforts.

Just a technical question at the side: Is this all native Java code or do you use some kind of web view for rendering the songs?

All the best and blessings
    Andreas

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-05-11

Hi Andreas,

I did think about using a web view to render the songs, but decided to do it the hard way (Java code). I'm a new developer and only started Android programming in December by taking a free online course on Coursera and this app is part of my learning process. The updates do take time and I can share your frustration about finding the time to work on the app, but I'm still enjoying the challenge of figuring out how to solve the problems!

Likewise, keep up the efforts with your app!

Blessings

• Gareth Evans

Gareth Evans - 2014-10-27

The app now has basic support for dual screen presentation (if you're running Android 4.2 or later and have either a HDMI connection to a TV/projector or a Miracast wireless display dongle!

Lots of features and customisations missing for now, but it's a start!

Gareth

• Samuel Campos

Samuel Campos - 2015-02-28

I've also created an Android app that is compatible with OpenSong musics and its able to use the OpenSong API to present the musics on the OpenSong sets.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.samuelcampos.Worshipper

I've also tried the Gareth Evans app, and I liked it a lot. But I've decided to invest some time creating another app that connects with OpenSong over a Wifi network to get the OpenSong sets in real-time during the service.
    It's also compatible with OpenLP/OpenLyrics music formats and it brings two popular portuguese music sets by default.

Its an evolving app but I hope it can help some one.
    Samuel Campos

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks