2010-02-15
2016-05-23
  • Andrew

Andrew - 2010-02-15

Welcome to Open Discussion

• Greg Miller

Greg Miller - 2010-05-06

Hi,

I just downloaded and ran OpenSkipper with an Actisense adapter connected to my evolving N2K backbone. When I tried to open a connection it quickly came back with an error message that indicated an unknown PGN, and stopped the connection. There were no entries in the log. It seems to me that unknown PGNs are going to be a common occurrence as manufacturers are allowed to create their own proprietary PGNs; they shouldn't cause the connection to stop. A warning dialog and an entry in the log would be sufficient - and then the connection should continue to collect data. What is frustrating about this is that there is no indication of which PGN is the offender - at least the PGN number should be displayed in the error log. Then I could add an entry in the xml file with arbitrary definitions for the 8 bytes.

One of the few PGNs to get through before stopping is for vessel heading (127250), which I am sourcing from a Maretron SSC200 Solid State Compass. I got an error in Field 5 (Heading Sensor Reference). The xml file allows 3 bits for the data (there are 2 enumerated states: 0=true and 1=magnetic). The sensor transmits 2 bits of data (01=magnetic), and then pads with 1s (ie byte=FD). The result is that the program sees 101 (5) and notes an error. The number of bits should be reduced from 3 to 2 or even 1, as there is no likelihood that there will be another enumerated state. I would probably settle on 2 for now.

I hope this helps. I will be looking out for a new version.

Thanks for this project: I think it serves a very big need out there.

Greg

• Andrew

Andrew - 2010-05-11

Greg,

Thanks for the feedback, and for trying out Open Skipper. We certainly need to handle unrecognised PGN's, and so will make a fix to the code. There are a number of improvements coming; we'll include your fix in this next release.

Thanks also for the comment on the vessel heading. It would be nice to have a central PGN definition file that users could easily edit on-line and then disseminate fixes such as your suggestion. But I'm not aware of any easy way of doing this; suggestions would be welcome!

Andrew

• makag

makag - 2010-08-16

Hi, I downloaded Openskipper now and experienced the same problem.  Connected to my Actisense and a very minor NMEA2000 network, consisting of only a Maretron SSC200 compass. Error for unrecognised PGN.

• Andrew

Andrew - 2010-08-18

We have tracked down the unrecognised PGN bug (which was in fact due to incorrect processing of the status messages produced by the Actisense unit). Version 1.2 is now available which fixes the issue and makes other improvements, including experimental code for loading user defined forms (for which a form creator will be released). Please let us know if this fixes your problem. Andrew

• Nobody/Anonymous

I just downloaded and had a quick trial of OpenSkipper v1.2. I am impressed of all the good work you've done.
    I found the following issues when testing against NemaStudio, using a small N2K network consisting of NGW-1 (translating NMEA-0183 from NemaStudio to N2K PGN's) and NGT-1 (receiving the PGN's and passing them to OpenSkipper.
    Here are my priliminary findings:

PGN129026 COG & SOG:
    if COG > 187 degrees then COG is wrongly interpreted and displayed
    SOG is displayed as m/s instead of KNOTS

PGN 129025 Rapid Pos. Update:
    COG wrongly displayed as 0.01
    Lat and Lon position precision only 2 decimal positions

I did not check the XML configuration files, so it is possible that here the settings can be changed.
    It is also possible (but not very probable) that the is a bug in the Actisense firmware.

/Ger

• Andrew

Andrew - 2010-12-01

Ger, thanks for your feedback, and taking the trouble to do your testing. We are currently updating OpenSolver to use a newer PGN definition file from Kees (http://yachtelectronics.blogspot.com/2010/10/packterlogger-update-with-fixed-field.html), which I hope will fix the PGN problems you report. All units are currently the original SI units used in the messages; we plan to add options to let these be changed in  the future. We will certainly add more decimal points to lat/lon displays. Keep an eye out for a new release soon. Thanks for your input. Andrew

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have been trying Open Skipper for a while and I'm quite sure I found a bug. I can't receive NMEA0183 data through TCP. It connects properly but if I log the info into an XML it doesn't show anything. Also when I look into "Decoded Messages" it's empy.
    With UDP I don't have any problems and it works perfectly.
    I have looked into the TCP situation with a packet sniffer (Wireshark) and It receives data OK but doesn't seem to process it.
    What could be the problem?

• Nobody/Anonymous

TCP works OK! But readCallback(IAsyncResult ar) (into TCP_Client) is not working. There is a problem with _frameReader.ProcessBytes wich i cannot fix….
    Any help?

• J Blahnik

J Blahnik - 2011-03-20

I'm in the process of buying a Lowrance EP 60R fuel flow sensor - NMEA 2000 connection. 
    My question is simple (I believe).
    Can I read the NMEA 2000 data (I'm guessing binary fast packets) without using an Actisense NGT-1-ISO?  I need to read the data using a Motorola HCS-12 microprocessor .  I'd love to be able to read (parse) the data without the Actisense device.
    Thanks, Jim B

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi.. I have installed openskipper on my pc and am getting the NMEA heading data come though.  The visual heading guage however does not move accordingly, it doesn't seem to to anything.  Any ideas?

• Ponps

Ponps - 2014-03-27

Hi

I just want to know if there is a way to connect a PC to the NMEA bus without Actisense ? Maybe with a CANUSB adaptator.

Thanks,
    Anthony P

• Andrew

Andrew - 2014-04-16

We have not tried the CANUSB, but the simpler car CNBUS adapters will work to some extent (and should suffice for reading data). You may need to modify the code to support these. Cheers, Andrew

• Timo Lappalainen

Hi,

Is this project still alive? I would like to develop it, but I could not find any contact information.

There were some plans for develop GUI definition by XML. So far I did not find any description for those XML:s. Is there any progress with that? If not, I may continue with it.

Timo

• Andrew

Andrew - 2014-04-16

We would welcome your input to the project. Interest in this seems to have picked up recently - I have had a number of enquiries. Feel free to contact me via "a dot mason at auckland dot ac dot nz" if you have specific proposals. Cheers, Andrew

• Timo Lappalainen

Hi all,

So I have now a developed version available. The biggest improvement is that you can define displays with xml so that you do not need to have sources. It also has better web server where you can use several pages and as many parameters you like.

I have send the binaries to Andrew. This is still under development, but meanwhile if anyone is interested, request binaries from me.

• Timo Lappalainen

Hi all,

So the improvements I have made has woke up some interest. Until now I have made development for my own purposes.

The current version offers a way for me to get all information to Laptop on configurable views. It also offers way to forward data to tablet or cell phone via internal web service. By using HTML5 and Javascript on web pages, one can create nice views also for tablets, like I have already done a javascript compass rose as in my simulator. This sample will be on next version.

So I would like to get some feedback from users are there some features, what users are missing.

Timo

• JP Bigot

JP Bigot - 2016-05-22

Hi Timo,

This software is really great !
      I think like you that a collection of HTML5 / JS repeaters sreens for tablet or smarphone would be a very useful development..
      I tried to run OpenSkipper and I did not have any problem with it.

It was hard to make the web server runing..I dont know why now it works well.

The only problem at this stage is that depth is not displayed, Is it a bug or something missing in the configuration ?

Thanks in advance

Jean-Pierre

Last edit: JP Bigot 2016-05-22
  • JP Bigot

JP Bigot - 2016-05-22

Hi Timo,

This software is really great !
    I think like you that a collection of HTML5 / JS repeaters sreens for tablet or smarphone would be a very useful development..
    I tried to run OpenSkipper and I did not have any problem with it.

It was hard to make the web server runing..I dont know why now it works well.

The only problem at this stage is that depth is not displayed, Is it a bug or something missing in the configuration ?

Thanks in advance

Jean-Pierre

Last edit: JP Bigot 2016-05-22
  • Timo Lappalainen

The web server works if you just check "Enable WEB server" under View-"Web server...". If you wan't to connect it from other computer, you need addministrator rights and you have to uncheck "Local host only". Note that if you have other web servers running on your computer, you have to use different port byt setting File-"Settings..." and change "WWW port" e.g. 2222.

For web pages there are several samples. The biggest problem is missing documentation, but I have been thinking that too.

The depth parameter has as default filter that source=3. So change Tools-"Parameter Explorer..."-"Depth"-"Hooks"-[0] source from 3 to any.

Source is one way to filter data, if you have several nodes providing same PGN on your bus. Since source may change dues to NMEA2000 address claiming, this is not good filter. I am working with changing source filter to node identifier filter. But there has not been much progress yet due to other projects.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks