Menu

Is it really that "Open"?

linvail15
2004-08-13
2004-08-31
  • linvail15

linvail15 - 2004-08-13

Wouldn't it be a better idea to create classes/interfaces with generic data-structures in which the user can specify what variables the object will have? And then create a small "Effect Scripting Language" that can be used to determine the effects that certain actions have on certain objects' variables?

Actions can also be generic. The user's GUI can invoke the correct action according to the GUI events. Actions can have variables to refer to the Caller and Target and a reference to an Effect object that is invoked with these two values as parameters. The Effect object determines what happens according to, for instance, the Caller's Inventory/Health/Any variable.

To simplify the user's usage of the package, one could create Default classes that incorporate the above package to produce a widely accepted RPG foundation. I, for one, would use such a package to create an Advanced Dungeons and Dragons implementation.

I know that such a design would require a lot more effort, but it would truly deserve the word Open in its name.

• Chad Granum

Chad Granum - 2004-08-31

please keep in mind the project is still a long ways off from the first beta, we don't have everything, or even half of everything implimented yet, the generic data structures and variables is in the plan, but we need to start somewhere, we make something easy, then expand it. as for the effect scripting, I see no need to script something that will appear over something then follow it for a period of time, just specify a taget and a time limit. however I thank you for your suggestions.

-Chad "Exodist" Granum