Howto / Best practices

• DreamerSF

DreamerSF - 2010-05-31

I'm a new OpenQRM user and running into CentOS / VMWare (ESXi) / Netapp environement and like to know if there are some good Howto or Best practices to put in place a solution such OpenQRM. For example how to choose the best way to install machines ? (Put root-fs on NFS ? Install new machines each time ? Advantages / Inconvenients of those choices…)

Thanks in advance!

• DreamerSF

DreamerSF - 2010-05-31

Hi again,

I just want to add some precision; I wrote this post because I'm not sure how to proceed with my Machines using OpenQRM… Should I boot on PXE ? Should I install machines each time with local storage ?

I also have a question about basic function of OpenQRM (yes I did read the documentation but still have question… :) )… An image = a server ? Meaning we need a storage / image for each root file system ?

All I want is to have many rootfs as servers we have… I want them totally independant…

Thanks for helping me !
    Just a lost new user … :)

• Matt

Matt - 2010-05-31

Hi dreamerguik,

always depends on what you prefer. openQRM is "just" the platform which allows you to do rapid deployments in different ways.
    We recommend booting everything via PXE and using lvm-storage with iSCSI or AOE (vblade)

enjoy + have a nice day,

• DreamerSF

DreamerSF - 2010-05-31

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your answer.
    All I want, is to have my VMWare Farm with all Guests (Centos and maybe some windows (server - I know it's not yet supported…)) managed by OpenQRM. All servers should be independant.

In an OpenQRM view, how should the configuration be ? One Image per server ? Difference between appliance and image is a little bit tricky :)

Thanks again for your answers… I really believe in this project and can interest my enterprise but I need to have a strong plan and be able to demonstrate that it works well!

• DreamerSF

DreamerSF - 2010-05-31

Last details, we don't have iscsi configured anywhere, we want to stay with NFS only…

• Matt

Matt - 2010-06-14

Hi dreamerguik,

windows deployment is supported by openQRM

The difference between an image and an appliance is the following :
    Appliance :
    - represents your "service"
    - uses an image, a kernel, a resource + SLAs

- represents the root-filestem located on a storage server

You can have N images for N server. You can have also N appliances.
    Just one appliance can be active on each resource.
    -> each active resource has its dedicated image

hope it helps + have a nice day,

• DreamerSF

DreamerSF - 2010-06-18

Hi matt !

Thanks a lot for your clarification.

If I summarize;

1 server for a customer = 1 storage, 1 image, 1 vm container, 1 kernel, 1 appliance

Right ?

Last thing; Do I need 1 storage volume per image ???

Thanks again,
    Really great product

• Matt

Matt - 2010-06-19

Hi dreamerguik,

right and yes, each image has a dedicated volume.
    -> you can of course have multiple images that are using the same volume but then only one of those image can/should be active.

thanks for the flowers, nice to hear you like openQRM

enjoy + have a great weekend,

Matt Rechenburg
    Project Manager openQRM

• DreamerSF

DreamerSF - 2010-06-20

Hello Matt,

Thanks again for your answer :)

I have a little problem with this concept; 1 volume = 1 image.
    Why ? This is simple;

I'm using a Netapp with NFS and deduplication. With Netapp, the deduplication is done on the volume. Now if I have 1 volume per image, I will lose all deduplication interest… What do you suggest in this case ?

Thanks !

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks