str8_70s
2013-04-02
2013-05-15
  • str8_70s

str8_70s - 2013-04-02

Example:
    Task 1 - 10 day duration - pour slab floor on grade
    Task 2 - 2 day duration - install plumbing for radiant heating

Task 1 needs to start at least 1 day before Task 2 starts, because the bottom layer of the slab needs to be installed before the plumbing.  Then, Task 2 needs to be finished before Task 1 can be finished.  If I put in a SS+2day Task 1 >> Task 2 dependency, and then a FF+1day Task 2 >> Task 1 dependency, I get the "This link is invalid as it would create a circular dependency relationship with other tasks" message.  While it is circular, it is possible also.  The only way I have found to make this happen is to divide Task 1 into two pieces, for example Task 1 Start and Task 1 Finish or something, to relieve this issue.

I'm not getting what I believe to be an error, but rather a shortfall in the programming.  I understand the need to prevent dependencies like 1>2 and 2>1, but in an instance like this, it makes sense to allow it, provided the durations are such that it works.

Any thoughts?

• Tahoeob

Tahoeob - 2013-04-02

Critical Path Methodology and the certifying bodies on project management all do not allow for circular links.  You can get around this potentially by putting in date constraints or the relationships as you noted. 

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks