Menu

introducing myself and EDG

2002-05-17
2002-05-28
  • Eugene Koontz

Eugene Koontz - 2002-05-17

Hi OpenNLP people,
        It's nice to see so much interest in NLP on SourceForge. I just started my own project, EDG, which I invite you to check out : http://edg.sourceforge.net
    I hope it's possible to insert EDG under the OpenNLP umbrella. Looking forward to working with you all in the future.
        -Eugene
        ekoontz@hiro-tan.dhs.org

• John Dowding

John Dowding - 2002-05-19

Hi,

Welcome to OpenNLP.

We are in the process of setting up a web site devoted to tracking and supporting all open source NLP software at www.OpenNLP.com.  We will certainly a link to your project when that gets set up.

• Jason Baldridge

Jason Baldridge - 2002-05-22

Interesting.  Is there any reason that you are not building off the LKB to create EDG?

Anyway, welcome aboard! I'll add you to the current list of projects on the sourceforge page.

Jason

• Eugene Koontz

Eugene Koontz - 2002-05-28

Hi Jason,
            Thanks to both you and John for the warm welcome and the links.
            With regard to LKB, it's certainly a much more mature and complete implementation than my new project, EDG. I started work on what became EDG long ago, as part of my Master's Project in Linguistics, before I knew of LKB. I've decided to keep working on it because I think it's got a couple of attractive features that I want to continue to develop. First, the web-enabled stuff : the XML/HTML output format of the feature structures, and, hopefully before long, a complete web-based development environment.   
           Second, EDG allows an incremental building of the type hierarchy. For example, you can add one type, then add another, and the system will, if necessary, create a new supertype that is the generalization of the two types you added. The intention is a "bottom-up" building of the type hierarchy from examples given to the system. (This is the meaning of the name "Example-based Development". )
            It might be that the LKB developers find something of value in either of these features and are able to incorporate them into LKB. Similarly, I hope that I can make use of the Lingo grammars and lexicons (subject to the licencing terms of that work, of course).
            More generally speaking, when a standard encoding of grammars and lexica emerges out of the OpenNLP project, I hope that we can share these resources among our different implementations.
            -Eugene