Menu

Antennas

Alex
2017-03-29
2022-01-28
  • Alex

Alex - 2017-03-29

Hello, everybody!
    I would like to know what kind of antennas you're using with OpenLTE. I use some simple monopole antennas, which I bought from Aliexpress.
    I have some problems with connection to eNodeB. And I wonder, can this be due to bad antenna?
    What kind of antennas you're using? Is this simple antennas like mine or some special antennas with gain?

• Blinko

Blinko - 2017-04-01

Hi Alex, well when I bought my USRP I ordered one VERT900 antenna and it works well (ofcourse it costs $37 dollars ... I guess now I know that is too much). If your Aliexpress-imported antennas are working bad then ... I am sad .. I have ordered them a couple, hahaha, anyways ... some way to test your antennas ... or at least to test that your system is getting appropiate signal is to run the command uhd_fft -f (freq in Hz).

you have UHD installed, you should be able to run that command ... since apparently you can not trust on the results of LTE_fdd_dl_scan ... then I guess you should try to search what are the spectrum distribution in your country here:
    http://www.spectrummonitoring.com/frequencies/

search your local operators and start scanning ... if the Rx power levels that you get on uhd_fft are too low, then you are in a bad spott (geographycally speaking) and maybe if you test openlte in other area, maybe you will see better results ... however you should see strong signal at the band in which your cellphone works .. at least.

question> are you sure your antennas are for the band? just saying ... sometimes it happens ... I am sure you know that is not just a matter to put any antenna .. the antenna must support the frequency range that you want to scan.

I hope this helps.
    Blinko

PD> I forgot the SAMP_RATE, you better run
    root@kali:~# uhd_fft -f 950e6 -s 40M
    -s is to set the bandwidth you want to scan ... by default is only 1Mhz.

Last edit: Blinko 2017-04-01
  • Ahmad saluhu

Ahmad saluhu - 2021-10-03

hi sir, please i need to know more about (ki) number and how can i find it .

• Stephen Hembree

Stephen Hembree - 2022-01-28

Hello Ahmad, you set the ki when you program your sim card. You cannot use COTS sim cards unless the company that programmed them is willing to send you the ki/OPc (highly unlikely), you need to buy blank USIMS and a USB reader/writer.