Menu

KVM-over-IP addon idea

Anonymous
2003-07-07
2015-11-19
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-07-07

Hi there...

Since electronic KVM switches can be had for ~$100.00 US, why not refocus on KVM-over-IP soloutions?  I've been working on this idea for a while and have some ideas about how to get the hardware put together...  Let me know if you guys are intrested.

• Tony Sullivan

Tony Sullivan - 2003-07-08

<p />
      Hi Benjamin,

Your ideas are certainly welcome.  Since we're still in the early stages on this project nothing can hurt :-)

If you have ideas about hardware construction that's great.  I was thinking about different approaches to this.  One approach is to buy one of those cheesy hardware switches to use as the basic chassis that includes the ports.  I don't know how much room that would leave for circuitry though...

It would probably be a good idea to have some kind of standard plug or slot inside the switchbox that would allow the easy swapping of "control modules".  Maybe we could standardize on using a simple backplane that the serial ports connect to and a PCI card for the circuitry.

After we get the basics down, by adding a microcontroller (running Linux, of course) we could have some kind of SSH/VNC/Serial console server.  Maybe we could add on some watchdog capabilities... 

• GHui

GHui - 2015-11-19

Good project. I like it.