Menu

Good news or bad news: DarWine?

Ananna
2004-02-08
2004-06-16
  • Ananna

Ananna - 2004-02-08

<a href="http://darwine.sourceforge.net/">DarWine for Mac OS X using X11</a>

"The Darwine project intends to port and develop WINE as well as other supporting tools that will allow Darwin and Mac OS X users to run Windows Applications."

Now, I don't think this is a big deal. (Actually, it's a *huge* deal!) But not a big deal for Open Knights. Since OK seems to be creating tools that supplement and complement and will sometimes work better in Mac OS X than an emulated Aurora toolset on WINE (which, if I remember correctly, it does, kinda-sorta), there doesn't seem to be any reason for everyone to go running over to work on DarWine so we can get the Toolset running under X11 and drop the whole Open Knights gig.

But, I do think it is good news for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with Neverwinter Nights, and even for reasons that do have to do with Neverwinter Nights. Even if Aurora Toolset doesn't work in WINE or DarWine, there are many many smaller applications that might. It's hard to say, considering the nature of WINE, what is going to work and what isn't, and it's probably best to assume that way more isn't going to work than is.

But I have to say that this is a bit of an exciting development. (And it's a bit old, considering it was announced on SlashDot on January 29th: Well, old in Internet Time anyway.)

It will at least give us an option vis a vis Virtual PC, for people who absolutely positively refuse to have anything Microsoft-oriented on their Macintosh. (Though, since Microsoft owns MacSoft now, through their various layers of acquisitions, simply having Neverwinter Nights kinda negates that.)

But anyway. DarWine is still a long way from appearing (though, someone might want to start a betting pool to see which is actually "shipping" first: VPC7 or DarWine.)

Any thoughts? Jumps for joy? Throwing of hands in the air in exasperation? Shruggings of shoulders?

• Ananna

Ananna - 2004-02-08

• Rick Shafer

Rick Shafer - 2004-02-08

Well, Ananna, thanks for the info.  I'm always glad to hear of things like this, if for no other reason, my Real Life job.  Even if the ToolSet is available only "kinda-sortof" this way, it might help some OK guys (me) just to be able to see how Bioware laid out their tool, since I don't have any other way to do that other than screen shots in magazines.  As far as the time scale, well... we'll see.

Oh and one more thing.  Somehow I think Peter Tamte would be a little surprised at hearing MacSoft as characterized as being "owned" by Microsoft.  A close working relationship, yes, but not an ownership.

• Joerg

Joerg - 2004-02-08

Just as a comment:

If you need some screenshots, that you can't find in a magazine, just tell me or post a request in this forum.
        I would glady make them for you or anyone who is in need of them.

Flummi

• Rick Shafer

Rick Shafer - 2004-02-08

Flummi:
          Thanks for the offer.  I will keep it in mind as things go along.

• Ananna

Ananna - 2004-02-09

Oh, Tamte quit the Microsoft Games Division to start his own company? I'm dumb. Sorry. :)

• elyl

elyl - 2004-06-16

so, does this work? can mac users run the toolset with this darwine thing? i would be happy to hear if somebody tried it, as i dont have the pc-version of NWN.