neveredit 0.6 preview 3

Sumpfork
2004-04-12
2004-04-15
  • Sumpfork

Sumpfork - 2004-04-12

This preview works around some bugs in some wxPython/pyopengl installs on linux (thanks to John Klar for good testing and advice).

All those who had problems with the previous one, including the person not able to run the mac version, please let me know if this one works for you.

Everybody else, try it out, too.

I'd really like to get 0.6 out the door so I can concentrate on the new model viewing stuff.

http://openknights.sf.net/neveredit/neveredit-0.6b3.dmg
    http://openknights.sf.net/neveredit/neveredit-0.6b3.tar.gz

• Sumpfork

Sumpfork - 2004-04-14

Why are my posts not going out over email these days?

----------
      This preview works around some bugs in some wxPython/pyopengl installs on linux (thanks to John Klar for good testing and advice).

All those who had problems with the previous one, including the person not able to run the mac version, please let me know if this one works for you.

Everybody else, try it out, too.

I'd really like to get 0.6 out the door so I can concentrate on the new model viewing stuff.

http://openknights.sf.net/neveredit/neveredit-0.6b3.dmg
      http://openknights.sf.net/neveredit/neveredit-0.6b3.tar.gz

• Joerg

Joerg - 2004-04-14

Well I tried to install PyOpenGL 2.0.1.07 manually, but this is the error I get. And I still don't know where the problem is. Does anyone have an idea?

flummip PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07 #ython setup.py install
      running install
      running build
      running build_w
      swig -version

SWIG Version 1.3.21
      Copyright (c) 1995-1998
      University of Utah and the Regents of the University of California
      Copyright (c) 1998-2003
      University of Chicago
      Compiled with g++ [i686-pc-linux-gnu]

Please see http://www.swig.org for reporting bugs and further information
      WARNING!!! wrong swig version.  Need 1.3.13, continuing anyway.
      Generating wrappers for API version 0x0101
      swig -python -Iinterface -shadow -DAPI_VERSION=257 -o src/interface/GL.GL__init___.0101.inc interface/GL/GL__init__.i
      interface/GL/GL__init__.i:94: Syntax error in input.
      interface/simple_typemaps.inc:98: Warning(119): %typemap(ignore) has been replaced by %typemap(in,numinputs=0).
      interface/simple_typemaps.inc:103: Warning(119): %typemap(ignore) has been replaced by %typemap(in,numinputs=0).

[...]

Using swig 1.3.10 I  can install PyOpenGL 2.0.1.07 with  a warning that I am using the wrong version of swig.

After that, I get the following running neveredit:

Platform: linux2
      Python version: 2.3.3 (#1, Jan 27 2004, 22:10:39)
      [GCC 3.2.3 20030422 (Gentoo Linux 1.4 3.2.3-r3, propolice)]
      Python comand: /usr/bin/python
      Python path: ['/home/joerg/NWWine/neveredit', '/usr/lib/python23.zip', '/usr/lib/python2.3', '/usr/lib/python2.3/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Numeric', '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0', '/usr/lib/portage/pym']
      wxPython version: couldn't import wx package - please install wxPython
      couldn't import OpenGL package - please install pyopengl
      Numeric version: 23.1
      /home/joerg/NWWine/neveredit/TalkTableFile.py:62: FutureWarning: hex/oct constants > sys.maxint will return positive values in Python 2.4 and up
        if strref == 0xFFFFFFFF:
      /home/joerg/NWWine/neveredit/TalkTableFile.py:64: FutureWarning: hex/oct constants > sys.maxint will return positive values in Python 2.4 and up
        special = (strref & 0xFF000000) >> 24
      initializing resource manager from " /home/joerg/Neverwinter/nwn " . . . .
      no entry with label Mod_Hak in getInterpretedEntry
      empty prop for Mod_Hak
      Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/home/joerg/NWWine/neveredit/MapWindow.py", line 110, in OnPaint
          self.InitGL(self.GetClientSize().width,self.GetClientSize().height)
        File "/home/joerg/NWWine/neveredit/MapWindow.py", line 356, in InitGL
          glClearColor(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0)
      NameError: global name 'glClearColor' is not defined

[...]

I know, that it says cannot find wxPython and PyOpenGL, but the app starts, and with PyOpenGL 2.0.0.44 it said the same, but neveredit worked, except for the crash when moving an object on then the map.

Any idea?

Greetings

Flummi

• Sumpfork

Sumpfork - 2004-04-14

The wxPython error probably occurs under wxPython 2.4.x.x. I'm moving to 2.5 now that it's released, but I _think_ things should still work under 2.4 and neveredit 0.6. The application starting up ok is certainly promising.

As for pyopengl, it looks to me like your install failed in one way or another. I was able to install the latest pyopengl version without problems by using the exact swig version it requires (1.3.13). Maybe you could give that a shot? Do remove your old install before you upgrade. The 'import OpenGL' should _really_ work with a working pyopengl install. Maybe also check whether you can run any pyopengl tutorials or demos.

Sorry there are so many dependencies this time around, but I'm hoping that things will settle down after 0.6. Alternatively, if anyone can figure out how to package a binary release under linux (there are some hints on the wxpython.org wiki) I'd be most greatful.

BTW: Flummi, as in the small bouncy rubber ball?

• Joerg

Joerg - 2004-04-14

Good news,

everything seems to work now. The right swig version (1.3.13) was the answer I needed - It is always the same: I try to keep my distro tidy by only using "official" packages for clean install/uninstall routines, but living on the edge doesn't work this way... On the other hand modifying existing packages/ebuild isn't very difficult.

One thing doesn't still work: After resizing the window with the opengl-map on nothing is there to find with the mouse where it is shown on the map, and it seems to keep/use the old window-dimensions. Resizing the window before viewing a map is no problem.

And yes: Just like in the small bouncy rubber ball!

Have a good night, need to go to sleep now.

Greetings

Flummi

• Sumpfork

Sumpfork - 2004-04-15

That's great.

Still, I've grown tired of all the dependencies the source now has. So, I looked at cx_Freeze again.

Here's a linux binary distribution:
      http://openknights.sf.net/neveredit/neveredit-0.6b3.linux_i386.tar.gz

Unless I hear complaints, I'll be releasing 0.6 very soon.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks