Devil build process is such a mess!

Bobby Peru
2009-03-27
2013-05-02
  • Bobby Peru

Bobby Peru - 2009-03-27

This is unacceptable. I wonder how many Devil users were brave enough to actually compile Devil themselves... I guess most guys used prebuild files cause building Devil is such a daunting task!

You want to know how this should be done?
    There should be a bulk file inside the Devil source root directory including all Devil source files. And that file should compile cleanly, after uncommenting from it files that require third party libraries. Thats it.
    Try doing this procedure now...

Can someone explain to me why now we use some mega complicated unix scripts, batch files, projects etc.?

• Bobby Peru

Bobby Peru - 2009-03-27

Not only is the build overly complicated, the dependencies between source files are also a mess!
      Has any of the developers ever tried to compile source files separately to make sure that they include the right headers??!!

• Denton Woods

Denton Woods - 2009-03-28

I don't deal with Linux nearly as much as I do Windows, so I may not have as much input as Matej does on your first post.  The main thing that the makefile system is trying to do is recognize what libraries are installed on your system, then modify config.h accordingly.

I have used the makefile system on several machines and had no problems with it.  In fact, I have used it with Cygwin and OS X with zero problems.  If you let us know what the problem you had is, we will try to fix it.  If you really dislike the makefile system that much, you are more than welcome to submit an alternative.

In regards to your second post, I'm not sure what you mean by the dependencies being a mess.  I compile source files separately in MSVC++ all of the time and have had no issues.  I have not gone through systematically checking every one, though.  Is there a specific example that you are referring to?

• Matěj Týč

Matěj Týč - 2009-03-30

Anyway, thank you for your report, but could you please provide some details regarding what's wrong? The build system has to be somewhat complicated inside since we are supporting a huge range of formats and therefore we may depend on lots of external libraries. And users have to be able to customize this...
      Come on, just download the tarball, run ./configure <your options here> && make && make install as it is described in the manual and everything should be OK...

• Freak .

Freak . - 2009-04-28

Well, I will chime in on this one.. I am new to Devil, as in the last 24hours and don't have much C++ experience, but enough to setup MSVC 2008 and compile Qt for 64bit which is working well.  Qt was the first time i have tried to compile an external library myself.

In comparison Devil is not user friendly if you are building yourself, although i do appreciate the efforts. In fact the documentation, HTML and .PDF makes it good if you already have the libraries built.

But for the first time user the lack of knowing what to do after loading a .sln file from projects\MSVC9 directory makes it a little scary.  It fails to build out of the box, as "Configure.h" is missing from the build which i assume is meant to happen with the configure.bat file, which fails to find any file.

I tried to guess the same way as Qt, which is the console for MSVC and "configure -platform win32-msvc2008" but no go....  

I don't have a problem in having a go at manually doing things, but some documentation on what i should do would be really nice.  It seems more than a few people fail at Windows x64 if i look over the forum, So i would be happy to write a tutorial or blog the steps needed for x64 or just library building for MSVC. If i can get some ideas on what's needed from there to get a working compile out of MSVC.

I guess somehow i have to manually alter the .h files with the options i want, but i must admit i'm a little mystified by this process at the moment. Any ideas?  I'll continue to muddle a long hoping to guess my way through.

• Denton Woods

Denton Woods - 2009-05-10

Did you get this working?  I will try to update the documentation with better details on how to build it.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks