random crashes saving as dds

• Martin Slater

Martin Slater - 2003-02-27

I'm converting a bunch of tga's to dds's and every now and then my app dies writing out the dds. If i attach a debugger to it (msvc) then it appears that the image size has magically changed from 256x256 to 2x2 somewhere along the line, I assume a memory stomp somewhere, The problem is when i run it again on exactly the same image to debug it all works fine. Anyone got any ideas what may be going on?

• Martin Slater

Martin Slater - 2003-02-28

Sorted, it seems to dislike anything under 4x4.

• bpoteat

bpoteat - 2009-02-12

I realize this has been many years since this posting, but I seem to see similar issues. I am loading tga files and then saving them as dds (sometimes atlasing them together into a single image) and occasionally I'll get a crash - same as this situation. When I try to do the exact same steps to debug, it will crash.

I've compiled the libraries on my machine and try to have the DevIL libs project always open, hoping to catch it and break into the code at some point, but I have yet to be so lucky.

• Denton Woods

Denton Woods - 2009-02-13

I will see what I can find out.  Maybe checking it with Valgrind will help.

• Denton Woods

Denton Woods - 2009-02-13

I just tried it with some files in Linux with Valgrind, and it came up with nothing.  I even tried loading two files alternately 1000 times, saving them as DXT1, DXT3 and DXT5, and it had no memory being read/written out of bounds.  Do you have some images that I could try that you might think would cause this?  Are you saving as DXT1, 3 or 5?  Also, what version are you using?  There was a bug where data could be read from out of bounds in versions before 1.7.7.

• bpoteat

bpoteat - 2009-02-16

I have been saving almost exclusively DXT5. It hasn't been any particular images - just random. If I do find a particular image that it happens with, I'll post it.

• Gedalia Pasternak

I've hit similar issues saving with DXT5, they haven't been repeatable.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks