Blank page after login

Help
2014-04-18
2014-06-05
<< < 1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 3 of 4)
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2014-04-25

Should the .sql file be successfully restored on the laptop, Riaz is still left with manual backup/restore from desktop to laptop each week.

At a later time. we will need to know the LAMP versions on the desktop; perhaps both devices will be put "on the same page" and life will return to normal.

Feels like a bit of a slog ahead.

• Pieter W

Pieter W - 2014-04-25

fsgl,

I see far too much time spent on Blank Page and now.

This is only for those that like problems. (Alternative would be SUDOKU puzzles) I see Brady working 24/7 to find solutions, even for UBUNTU versions, and thought......

It would be easier to say:

Don't ask questions, see the MATRIX TO FIND YOUR PROBLEM. (As soon as Brady and co. found one or more solutions, the colour can change from Red (NO-good), to Orange (Solution possible, but not included in general package), to Green (Easy, follow the Manual and install without problems)

Till now OpenEMR was the OpenEMR for everyone. Every Browser, Every OS, and with effort for every USER National an International. I would not like to see that go the drain, just we make improvements in parts of the system (Windows XP, Ubuntu Mint to name only two of the many great products)

Last edit: Pieter W 2014-04-25
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2014-04-25

Pimm,

As pater familias I'm sure that you know that young folks will not heed your simple and elegant advice until there is no other alternative.

(Winston Churchill supposedly said that Americans eventually will do the right thing, after they have exhausted all other possibilities. Mr. Churchill was half American, so we won't hold that remark against him.)

Jack in Kuala Kumpur can't resist installing new operating systems. I have a weakness for problem solving. Riaz is wedded to LAMP and VM's.

How else are we going to waste our time?

Brady is going to be ok. I offered 2 aspirins.

Furthermore, forementioned puzzles are from a country that we don't have warm memories of.

• Pieter W

Pieter W - 2014-04-25

What a wisdom.

Sir Winston Churchill also said:

I feel tremendous forces in the room,</I> it was said somewhere about the time you mentioned the puzzles were from and times that still give enough power to ventilate your anger. (I do not agree nor disagree with you feelings let that be clear, I do not know your history.) No problem just a difference of opinion, but times keep on changing.

Let these Forums keep to the International standards and let us try not to include nasty times we would like to forget, specially the parts that can not be changed, or at least, see the good things that also come from other parts of the world (Green).

I still feel those tremendous forces all around me. Why let others waist time and give them a hint that they might get in serious trouble if they try (Orange).

Trying with a warning is something different from trying the same mistakes over and over again (Red).

Last edit: Pieter W 2014-04-25
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2014-04-26

Riaz,

It occurred to me that you may not have phpMyAdmin installed, thereby unable to follow Stephen's advice.

If the presumption is correct, consider the following:

1. Keep Ubuntu 14.04 in VirtualBox on the laptop for your other applications.
    2. Download Linux Mint 16 via Torrent. See page 8 of attached Guide. Torrent will be faster. Use Transmission in LMDE.
    3. Check the MD5 sum of the .iso. See page 9 of the attached Guide, which explains why and how.
    4. Write the .iso to a flash drive. The install will be faster and more accurate. Here's the tutorial. This utility has been built-in.
    5. Install Linux Mint 16 on a different partition.
    6. Download the XAMPP-OpenEMR package for Ubuntu-Debian. Because this is a smaller file than Linux Mint 16, it is not necessary to use Transmission. Do not download the OpenEMR tarball for Linux. There is no point repeating a step that has led to consistent failure.
    7. Check the MD5 sum of the package.
    8. Double click the package in the Downloads folder. If the installation of the package hangs, that means that the GDebi Package Installer is not functioning properly. Reinstall Linux Mint until GDebi successfully installs the XAMPP-OpenEMR package.
    9. From the OpenEMR download webpage, it appears that the package has been patched to 2. Check to be certain that you are able to login.
    10. Run the restore script. Check the integrity of the OpenEMR directory and database before proceeding to the next step.
    11. Run Patch 5.
    12. If all above steps are successful, consider same for the desktop to facilitate future recoveries on the laptop.

If all of the above is for naught, revert to Ubuntu 12.04 for OpenEMR, while keeping Ubuntu 14.04 in another VirtualBox for other applications. A Forum member may resolve this problem by 2017.

Last edit: fsgl 2014-04-27
    • Kevin Yeh

Kevin Yeh - 2014-04-26

It occurred to me that you may not have phpMyAdmin installed, thereby unable to follow Stephen's advice.

Should not need it installed separately as the version included with Riaz's already running OpenEMR instance ought to work.

Last edit: Kevin Yeh 2014-04-26
  • Pieter W

Pieter W - 2014-04-26

If you look at this spreadsheet, would it be something to improve and get in the WIKI pages after each new release? Or would it be better to let "them" do a search in the Forum and WIKI for solutions?

• Pieter W

Pieter W - 2014-04-26

BTW this spreadsheet is incomplete, not checked for completeness, and might be very incorrect in it's assumptions. So not for publication.

• fsgl

fsgl - 2014-04-26

Windows users generally install the package because they will be intimidated by the separate installs of WAMP and OpenEMR. A healthy fear, I might add.

Linux users tend to freelance.

The problem is that the paths to the OpenEMR folders may have been altered in Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint 17. This thought gave Brady a headache (see his penultimate post).

If this is really the case, all bets are off. We will need a new model, so you may wish to hold off on the spreadsheet.

• Pieter W

Pieter W - 2014-04-26

The power of OpenEMR has always been: The easy forward and easy installs.

Before the easy install, I can remember the headache and endless failures. Now reading your comment in different Topics in the forums and Brady starting his struggle for installation of OpenEMR it seems as OpenEMR is send back to the Developers. Only "them" with enough power, not only speaking about financials, might be able to implement an nice recent version of OpenEMR.

Don't let my fear of distraction come true and don't give my fears of distraction from the open source pathway a chance. Not after the Easter wishes and the little bunny hiding the Easter eggs for the kidds. I keep my fingers crossed. Lots of time, blood sweat AND tears, has been spent to get OpenEMR where we are now!

Last edit: Pieter W 2014-04-26
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2014-04-26

Never say die.

Brady is a resourceful fellow. He'll think of a new paradigm long before 2017.

The rest of us are DIY-ers, who relish a good challenge (otherwise we would have stayed with the proprietary stuff).

Pretty Primavera is here. Let's go out and enjoy the panorama.

(Except for Riaz, who has loads to do. O.K., time to get cracking!)

• Jackfruit501

Jackfruit501 - 2014-04-29

I remember in Ubuntu 13.04 I had problem using the deb but was OK with the tarball. Follow the installation as in the wiki make sure you point apache2 to /var/www/ instead of /var/www/html for U14.04. Unless the backup was corrupted in the first place you should be on your way to a great EHR I was able to do the backup on a few machines.......Ubuntu 12.04, 13.10 and now 14.04.

• Riaz Chaudhry

Riaz Chaudhry - 2014-04-29

I've followed all steps outlined by fsgl with the same result.
    After installing openemr, it works, I can log in, of course there is no patient data.

After restoring from a working backup I get a blank screen without applying the patch.

After applying patch 5 I end up with a mysql error as before.

Regards

• fsgl

fsgl - 2014-04-29

Were you able to restore the database following Stephen's advice?

If not, another thought.

The package uses MySQL 5.5.32. What does the desktop use?

I'm wondering if this webpage has any relevance.

Last edit: fsgl 2014-04-29
  • Riaz Chaudhry

I am running " mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.22 " on my Ubuntu 12.04 server.

• fsgl

fsgl - 2014-04-29

Were you able to restore the .sql file from phpMyAdmin (per Stephen's post)?

• Riaz Chaudhry

Will give it a go tonight. Thanks fsgl for keeping up with me.

• Riaz Chaudhry

I did a restore from the .sql file with the command :sudo mysqldump -u user -p openemr >backup.sql, with the same Mysql error.

Last edit: Riaz Chaudhry 2014-04-29
  • fsgl

fsgl - 2014-04-29

What happens when you manually copy and replace the var/lib/mysql/openemr directory?

• Riaz Chaudhry

Riaz Chaudhry - 2014-05-01

I get this error:

ERROR: query failed: SELECT setting_label, setting_value FROM user_settings WHERE setting_user = ? AND setting_label LIKE 'global:%'

Error: Can't find file: './openemr/user_settings.frm' (errno: 13)

I have restarted mysql.

Attempting to reconnect to local host throws up error: Check mysqld is running.

Attempting to restart mysql throws up error: * Starting MySQL database server mysqld [fail]

However after a restart I can get mysql to restart fine but sitll get the error: ERROR: query failed: SELECT gl_name, gl_index, gl_value FROM globals ORDER BY gl_name, gl_index

Error: Can't find file: './openemr/globals.frm' (errno: 13)

Last edit: Riaz Chaudhry 2014-05-01
  • Kevin Yeh

Kevin Yeh - 2014-05-01

There is clearly something going wrong with your backup and restore process.

The "Cant find file:..." errors mean MySQL is unable to access those tables. (manually copying and replacing probably caused that.)

Changing permissions on the files in that directory so the mysql service account is owner and group might address that issue.

However, copying files like that is not a reliable way to backup and restore as you can see.

• fsgl

fsgl - 2014-05-01

One more thought before throwing in the towel:

1. Follow this thread.
    2. Uninstall openemr_4.1.2-2_all.deb from Linux Mint 16.
    3. Install the new package after Brady et al. completed their work. Verify that this package has been patched to 6.
    4. Restore backup.
    5. Patch to 6 if not done so on desktop.

Let us know the result, good or bad. There may be other ideas for a solution, not yet contemplated, should the above fail.

• Kevin Yeh

Kevin Yeh - 2014-05-01

Step 4, restore backup is likely to fail in the same manner.

Changing the method by which OpenEMR is installed isn't going to fix the problem.

Riaz successfully installed 4.1.2 at some point. The new package Brady is working on will not make a difference in this scenario. I am 99.9% certain of that.

• fsgl

fsgl - 2014-05-01

In the absence of another solution, we don't know until we've tried.

• Pieter W

Pieter W - 2014-05-01

I did hear this before, success is just one of the many failures that isn't. Copy => paste every table and careful putting every php file on the correct place within the electronic limits must be a way to success. Takes some time, since OpenEMR has grown into adulthood without any trace of the young and restless past of easy install for the crowd......

<< < 1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 3 of 4)