Menu

null subjects languages

Help
lmrojas
2007-03-02
2013-04-08
  • lmrojas

lmrojas - 2007-03-02

I have just taken the study of OpenCCG up again and I have some questions related to the categorization of verbs in languages such as Italian and Spanish.
    The problem I have found is related to “the embedded subject extraction” pointed out in Baldridge's PhD thesis.  Italian and Spanish are SVO languages but in many cases subjects could be obviate in sentences.  The verb form changes depending on each subject person so pronouns are inferred by the verb form.

“Ho una pressione di 120 su 80” - Italian
    “Tengo una presión de 120 sobre 80" - Spanish
    “(I) have a (blood) pressure of 120 over 80”

Perhaps I should configure the transitive family with the categories (s\np)/np  in cases where the user say the subject as in English, and s/np  on the contrary. In the same way the transitive verbs family could have both categories s\np and s. Is this correct? 
    In case the user uses the brief form (without subject) in a sentence, how does the parser resolve the meaning?  I mean, The “actor” is not explicit in the sentence however it could be inferred by the verb meaning.I am a little confused.

Thanks

• Michael White

Michael White - 2007-03-04

A better alternative is likely to be using a unary type changing rule.  See the discussion of using a unary rule for pro drop in Turkish in the Rough Guide, section 7.

-Mike