Menu

Take pictures with the screen turned off

Anonymous
2015-05-09
2019-02-15
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-05-09

Is it possible to have a feature for the phone to take pictures with the screen turned off?

I would like to set the burst mode interval to 5 minutes and also to unlimited pictures and leave it with the screen turned off to save on battery

• Mark

Mark - 2015-05-10

It's theoretically possible though not straightforward which is why the feature isn't there yet I'm afraid (by default Android apps go into standby mode when screen is off, so it needs to be rewritten to run as a service).

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-05-13

Thanks mark! it would be great if you find the time to implement it.

cheers

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2016-07-14

I support this request. There are other more or less kludgy ways of turning off the screen, but I have yet to find any app that rivals the Open Camera camera function and stability. Running a black screen app is not ideal either, at least I have not found anyone that is reliable. My specific application is remote water meter reading. Currently 88% of the power used is used by the screen even at minimum brightness.

So Mark, please, please, take a look at the feature again...

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-07-25

plus one for reducing power to the screen.s there a way to draw a tiny screensaver instead of the camera image, so that screen is technically on?
    I just un-borked a Note3, and so far this has been the most stable interfermoter app I found.
    Sending you a donate anyway.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-09-13

Hi,
    another PLUS ONE from me!
    I'm also on the time-lapse issue. Therefor I was reading about OpenCamera far before I got my first smartphone. Now that I got it and gave it a first try, I was wondering that the screen had to be turned on constantly, so the battery was drained very fast. :-(

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2018-02-10

+1
    The screen "eats" a lot of battery.

• forart.eu

forart.eu - 2018-04-27

A "collaboration" with another open source DVR app such as CosyDVR (that has timelapse option):
    https://f-droid.org/packages/es.esy.CosyDVR/

Hope that helps/inspires !

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2018-09-12

+1 also missed this feature to take timelapse video. Screen is draining battery ;(

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2019-02-10

also missing this option.
    it's not only the battery drain. if you let a device work for a long period(e.g. for hours every day) with enabled display, the device can get realy hot. it's possible to damage the battery this way.

• Jacobcullen

Jacobcullen - 2019-02-15

What would be the best camera under $1k?
    I just started my YouTube channel a couple months ago. free netflix I’ve been using my iPhone X for the most part. I’m looking for a good video camera. It should be able to do photos too. tech news I’m mostly filming in the day, but I plan to do some night shots. I wish I can afford the Panasonic gh5. What do you guys think I should get?

Last edit: Jacobcullen 2019-02-26

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel