Menu

Regarding Container XML Schema

Design
Swami1984
2006-08-01
2013-04-16
  • Swami1984

Swami1984 - 2006-08-01

Hi...I was wondering as to what the <rules> tag really meant. Is it about applying a rule to the content itself or a rule regarding the content's metadata? Please clarify with an example....

Thanks,
    Ravi

• Cyberlynx

Cyberlynx - 2006-08-01

Ravi
        The <rules> tag is there to enable users to define the behaviour of the container, an example might be that you want a paragraph (container) to only contain a maximum of 30 words then you would use:

<RULES>
        <MAX_ALLOWED_CONTAINER>word|30</MAX_ALLOWED_CONTAINER
      </RULES>

The other rules that I am looking to add are:
      * Minimum number of containers required
      * Requisite number of containers
      * Container instance name - max characters allowed
      * Container instance name - min characters allowed

Does that make sense?  I hoped by having the 'rules' it would allow a lot of flexibility when generating configuration files.

• M. Bates

M. Bates - 2006-08-06

To an end-user, what would be the purpose of having a maximum number of words per paragraph?

• Cyberlynx

Cyberlynx - 2006-08-07

That was an example, a better one may be maxium number of paragraphs - e.g. 5 paragraph essay.

• M. Bates

M. Bates - 2006-08-07

I was just curious what a maximum number of words would be useful for.

Though, thinking back on my classes, I can think of a couple of uses. For example, having to write a maximum 500 word proposal.

• Cyberlynx

Cyberlynx - 2006-08-07

At the present time we only have a few 'rules', is there any more that are needed/potentially useful?

• M. Bates

M. Bates - 2006-08-07

I'm pretty sure that formats are standard for most professional documents.

So here's a few:
              Font type
              Font size
              Max number of pages
              Min number of pages
              Max/Min number of lines
              APA/MLA/Other type of format (autoformats paper!)
              Spacing
              Margins
              Alignment
              Indentions

And since rules can be user-defined, also have the rules for a particular container be able to be saved, for example as "Appendix" or "Chapter."

• Cyberlynx

Cyberlynx - 2006-08-08

You are not talking document structure,  you are talking about the "look & feel", which is not what the project is about.

• M. Bates

M. Bates - 2006-08-09

Then could you explain what you mean by "Document Structure?" A better explanation of the purpose of this project will also be very helpful.

• IndieJ

IndieJ - 2006-08-18

The document structure is near synonymous with the outline of the particular document, but with added notes, and points to consider, thrown in. Therefore the document structure of, say, a thesis would contain the necessary outline, but also have further notes / considerations added for points that are to be made and / or developed throughout, allowing the owner to keep track of the natrual flow of the document.

Point taken about the need of a better explanation, I am to blame for that one :), I have written a primer, which should be available for download very soon, just need to sort some minor issues with it's particular word processor at the moment, shouldn't be long now :)