Menu

Animationsa and *.3ds

2003-04-19
2003-04-20
  • Michael Kurze

Michael Kurze - 2003-04-19

As for now i have some experience with the ASE loader, I thought about implementing an animation model. On the other hand, i would like to write a parser for binary .3ds files.
    Where is the priority? And, are there plans on the architecture of  animations already?
    If the quake model import contains animations, I think it would be better to wait for Robert Cadenas work. Then we can provide animations in ase/3ds files in a similar way.

• Alban Cousinié

Alban Cousinié - 2003-04-19

Michael is back ! :)

I hope you've had nice hollidays and a good rest ! :)

About loading 3DS files, you can find a 3DS loader coded in java on the demobox page (in section tutorials from game tutorials) : http://web.hypersurf.com/~sully/OpenGL/DemoBox.html
      There is also code for an OBJ loader.
      Maybe we could adapt these to OpenMind.

Adding animation control support and import from ASE is definately a priority over handling new file formats, so people may be able to use openMind without having knowledge of complicate matrix math. Its not very usefull to be able to load many different file formats if we can't do much with the objects we have loaded. That's my point of view, now you do what you want :)

There is a task defined in the task list : 70713 : animation controlers.
      There is a book that I think would be really worth reading before implementing this task : Computer Animation: Algorithms and Techniques. Check it out an Amazon.com
      It deals with animation controlers algorithms, and many other interesting topics such as physics and character animation.

About Robert's work on an MD3 animation controler, maybe you could get in touch together and agree on an animation controler interface wich would define the basic methods any animation controler should implement.

Regards,

Alban

• Michael Kurze

Michael Kurze - 2003-04-20

Thx, holidays were great :)

As I have no experience with animation controllers, I will buy the book, I think. Afterwards I'll look into it.