Mac / PPC Progress?

Sean Cross
2003-11-30
2003-12-07
  • Sean Cross

Sean Cross - 2003-11-30

I've been monitoring OpenBeOS' progress for quite some time now (well over a year,) and I have seen only intermittent discussion about the PPC platform, let alone running on Apple hardware.  How is progress towards this moving?

I checked out the kernel tree, and did notice there is a ppc arch, as well as some form of openfirmware bootloader support.  How far along is this?  The biggest problem I've run up against is that Apple's GCC seems to not like some of the symbols, such as '.global', which is not surprising considering their bundled version of jam didn't work at all.  Am I correct in assuming that trying to compile this under Linux would yield better results?

And assuming the kernel works, how much of the actual system would work?  I assume projects such as OpenTracker could simply be recompiled to work, as could Firebird (thus giving a workable system,) but how usable do you think it would be?

Also, at the risk of sounding like a plucky "me too", I would be interested in helping any way I can.  It's been quite some time since I've done assembler, and I haven't done any sort of PPC assembler before, though I've been curious about it for some time.

• Anonymous - 2003-12-03

IIRC, Axel is doing most of the bootloader work on his pegasos PPC board. I think I heard that it will most likely be the first platform to boot off the HDD.

I don't know how Axel is compiling the PPC stuff - I thought the OBOS tree would only build on BeOS, but I could be wrong.

Simon

• Chris

Chris - 2003-12-07

i can't wait