UbuntoRexx Install says Installed OK, but Not

MarcIrvin
2008-05-26
2012-08-14
  • MarcIrvin

MarcIrvin - 2008-05-26

OOREXX,

I recently installed the ubuntu v8, and it went in in minutes. After two boots I brought it up and found that it was fully functional. I mean the broadband internet, HP printer, and access to Window directory were all there, W/O mount commands or anything.

Well the first, thing after do the google and checking some internet mail I did was to try to install ooRexx on it. I went to REXXLA, To source forge, found the Ubuntu version of ooRexx v702 or so, and downloaded it to the Ubuntu desktop. From there I clicked the ooRexx ICON on the desktop, and it proceeded I thought to install. It seemed to do its thing for a short while. Then it asked me for my password, I gave it, and werred some more, and then finally told me ooRexx was successfully installed.

I however took looks aroung in BIN OPT etc and such and couldn't find anything that looked like ooRexx. I went back to a readme I found online somewhere it said all the files that would download and where to. I could not find them so I did a system search on ooRexx and found it everywhere but in the Linux Ubuntu directories.

Can someone please give me a step by step that will get ooRexx installed on the system without me having to do it totally by hand, which I always mess up?

Marc Irvin 203 820-3013.

• Mark Miesfeld

Mark Miesfeld - 2008-06-02

What happens if you open up a console window and type: rexx -v

That should tell you if ooRexx is installed.

If it is installed you'll get output similar to:

Open Object Rexx Interpreter Version 3.2.0
      Build date: Oct 30 2007
      Copyright (c) IBM Corporation 1995, 2004.
      Copyright (c) RexxLA 2005-2007.
      All Rights Reserved.
      This program and the accompanying materials
      are made available under the terms of the Common Public License v1.0
      which accompanies this distribution.
      http://www.oorexx.org/license.html

If you do, then just do: which rexx

to get the location of the files.

Note that I doubt if the Ubuntu build will work on version 8, but it might.

I'll put Ubuntu 8 on a system and test it some time, but it won't be for a week or so probably.

--
      Mark Miesfeld