Under Windows XP Professional, SP1 32bit w/ ooRexx 4.1.0, when I try to use the results of SysFileTree of my C: Drive (64k+entries, avg entry length 102 bytes) an access violation occurs or I get "date" function argument errors randomly. Sometimes the .rex program even works as expected. When the errors occur is unpredictable as well as when it will run successflly. Frustrating! Tried to put in stops like Trace ?r or exit after certain points. Never have been able to catch what is causing the problem.
The function is rc = SysFileTree("C:*","f","BLS","*")
After SysFileTree is executed, the RC is 0 or the .rex program will exit displaying a message and the return code.
The .rex program goes on to examine the results of SysFileTree and select entries based on user command line selected search criteria. At random points in the seach loop I get either of the above errors. Have included a zip file containing two Dr Watson logs and a sample of the random "date" function error.
Regressed to ooRexx to 4.0.0 and still had the above problems.
Regressed to ooRexx to 3.2.0 and I no longer had any problems with ooRexx. Finished writing the code under 3.2.0 and it works as expected. After I finished writing the code I restored my Windows XP System back to the ooRexx 4.1.0 version and the problems are reoccuring again.
I need to move to a new computer and operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) and wanted to use the latest ooRexx 64 bit programs. I am writing .rex programs to replace 16 bit programs that no longer function on Windows 7. I've developed replacement programs on Windows XP and hope to port them to Windows 7. But, now I am concerned about ooRexx reliability on Windows 7.