Help me download please

Help
Anonymous
2007-11-14
2013-05-01
  • Anonymous - 2007-11-14

Hello,
    1st a bit of background. I thought I had Open Office and decided to get Oxygen Office (now I think I may have had Oxygen - not sure anymore, lol). Anyway, like an idiot I decided to uninstall before I downloaded the new (I have issues/fears about crowding my computer) - this was not a smart thing to do BECAUSE I forgot I had downgraded myself to dial-up when I lost my job.

So after spending two nights trying to get Oxygen to download. It kept failing to get some part; I think because the dang dial-up shuts down because it thinks your idle. Soooo, I went to my public library to download ... it took 2 hours there. (Why so long for only 200 megs????

Now when I try to install from my flash drive I get the following message "Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed."

So tonight I'm going to try downloading it again (I changed my dial-up's idle shutoff time to 24 hours). I'm wondering if I'm picking the proper file to download - I want the binary because that gives the clipart (which I dearly miss from Microsoft Word). I chose this file "OOo_2.3.0_071014_Win32Intel_install.exe"

The others appear to be Linus, Unix, and languages other than English for the Windows ones. Am I correct in this assumption?

I really need a word processor to finish a paper for a class (very late already). If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.

Thanks so much
    Linda

• dinger1986

dinger1986 - 2007-11-14

Ok first off all if you just need a word processor to get you going use abiword, its only a 5mb download although it does not have clipart.

I would suggest trying to download from a friends broadband, as the library will most likely be throttled which would cause the download to go slow and sometimes when downloading from sourceforge i have found that if it is very slow it does not work properly.

Perhaps using Free Download Manager to resume the download if you get your dialup cut off.

Where abouts are you? Might be able send a cd.

Regards,
      Daniel

• Anonymous - 2007-11-14

Hi,
      I'm in northeastern Iowa, US. This silly download has been going all night on my computer here and it's only 59% finished. I think I'll cancel and try the friend's broadband idea next.

I'd prefer to avoid the abiword option (due to my analness about so many programs on my computer) I have a 3 year old laptop that has to last. I think there's a bunch of stuff that's on here I don't need and the hard drive's about half full. I bought UniBlue's Reg TWeaker, but I also need something to get rid of crud you don't need like all those huge long hexy files that pop up at the beginning of the tree for Windows when you look at it in explore, or old dlls, and all that garbage.

Anyway, if I add another program, I get more of that. I'd love a CD. If you could send one I could pay you back for postage. Thanks

Linda

• dinger1986

dinger1986 - 2007-11-14

Well try your friend to download the program first and let me know if you need the cd, although i am in the uk so would take a while.

To be quite honest i wouldnt worry about keeping the registry clean etc, backup and reinstall if it starts getting bad like do it over christmas or something when you are not to busy.

I wouldnt worry about putting to much softwar eon as i said you can always reinstall windows, its the easyest and cleanest way to do it.

Regards,
        Daniel

• Anonymous - 2007-11-14

Ok, Thanks

I'm at my friend's now. Wish me luck!
      Linda -

• Anonymous - 2007-11-15

Well, it didn't work. Same error message. I sent a message to Kami? I wonder if there is anyone in the US who uses oxygenoffice who could email me a zipped copy?

This is really frustrating. I hate dial-up.
      Linda

• Kami

Kami - 2007-11-15

Hello!

Several people downloaded OOo_2.3.0_071014_Win32Intel_install.exe but no one complain about until now. I do not know what is the problem. When this message appears? The first step after running the file - Extraction. So It will put a folder into your desktop and extract the archive here. Is this process finished? If not try to do this at your friend, then write the this folder to CD and install OOOP from this CD. (You can stap the installation, so OOOP will not be installed on your friend's machine.) If you have problem with extraction try to choose another server from sf.net downloads or you can download an independent downloadable version for example from www.majorgeeks.com.
      When you start the setup.exe manually and the problem comes here you should review your Microsoft Windows Installer environment. You can download the latest version from Microsoft. Also you can connect with me over IRC, MSN, ICQ and I will try to help to you.

I wish you the best.

KAMI

• Anonymous - 2007-11-15

Hi,
      I decided that perhaps my flash drive was the problem - I had a few folders that I had copied (System 32, Drivers, and other things) trying to duplicate some stuff from my old job on the flash drive. So I completely deleted all those folders (I chickened out trying to muck around with stuff I know little about)

I then downloaded the same download again. It downloaded (on my friend's broadband) much quicker, and actually had the little icon by it's name - but it wouldn't work. It was some other strange error - no, I didn't write down the error message, but it was something about one _____ not agreeing with ______. If you want I can try and download it again and see if I get the error message.  I just got irritated and deleted the bad file.

Anyway - my friend still had her 2.3 Open Office executable file on her desktop, so I copied that to my flash & have installed Open Office 2.3. At least I can function. 

I just am bummed because I really would like access to clipart (like with Word). I make lots of flyers for my church or my son's Scout troop, and there seems to be no simple way to put in a _________ (fill in the blank with your favorite piece of clip art).

I really don't know why I have had so much trouble. I will say that no one should try and download this product if they are on dial-up - 10 hours was not long enough. When on broadband, each time I tried downloading the program, it came from a different site (Seattle, San Jose, & somewhere in the Southwest).

Perhaps one must only choose the option "run" when they are downloading Oxygen Office. Maybe, the fact that I wanted to download it to a flash drive & then install it is the problem. I would like to download the extensions, but I haven't the energy right now to go through the huge hassle again.

I do want to thank both David & Kami for their suggestions. I really appreciate it.
      Sincerely,
      Linda

• dinger1986

dinger1986 - 2007-11-16

No you will want to save it rather than run it, did you try downloading it from majorgeeks?

This is very strange behaviour, what you want to do is download it, run it so it is an extracts into a folder on your desktop and then copy that to your flash drive.

What you could try is downloading the files from the extensions and add them into openoffice i believe it is the accessories you are after for the clipart, also you could download the templates as well if you want and try that i believe you just add them with the extension manager, but windows should recognise it as a openoffice file and add it in automatically, see how you get on, i will have more time to play tomorrow as it is getting late here.

Dont worry wont hold it against you for calling me david.

Regards,
        Daniel

• Anonymous - 2007-11-15

I AM SOOOO SORRY - I should have said Daniel rather than David - please, please excuse me. That's what I get for typing faster than my brain works.
      Linda

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks