Error instaling on Ubuntu 10.10

Help
2011-03-04
2013-04-23
  • Luís de Sousa

Luís de Sousa - 2011-03-04

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install once:Radix on Ubuntu 10.10. All goes smoothly until the step when the Radix tables must be restores to the database.  Right-click then select File > Restore, select a date an click Restore. I get the following message:

ERROR #06: Unable to restore database

I'm pretty clueless about what is wrong. Any logs I can post here?

Thank you,

Luís

• Vadim Karacharski

Hello Luís

You need to  create database named "onceradix" before restore.
    Also, once:Radix is configured by default for using postgres db user with onceradix password.
    You should have that account configured in your pgsql or you need to edit config/configuration.dat file.

You can access logs via http://localhost:8080/once/logviewer?log=once.log
    (you need to substitute your server address and port)

Sincerely,
    Vadim

• Luís de Sousa

Luís de Sousa - 2011-03-09

Hi Vadim, thanks for your reply.

I re-started the install but this time on a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 virtual machine. Everything went fine with JDK, Tomcat, Radix and Postgres. The database restore was successful. The guide is a bit tricky at times, it was not clear at first that JDK was supposed to be at /usr/local/java/jdk<version>; I had to change the tomcat startup and the profile file a few times to get it right. Also, the instructions on Postgres seem to be for Windows, not for Linux; luckily, installing Postgres on Ubuntu is pretty straightforward.

But alas, I'm not finished yet. After getting the previous software installed I moved on to iReports. It installed nicely and I was able to add the classpath to radix jdbc jars. The problem comes when setting the JDBC connection, the test fails with an exception (produced below). Again, any way to check logs or something for what's wrong? This is the very last step, not giving up now!

Thank you,

Luís

xception

java.sql.SQLException: Unable to open connection: unexpected server response:
    null
    Level:
        SEVERE
    Stack Trace:
    Unable to open connection: unexpected server response: null

• Vadim Karacharski

Hello Luís

What connection string did you enter?
    it should be liike  jdbc:once://http://127.0.0.1:8000/once/webapi

Also, you can test connection  by entering http://127.0.0.1:8000/once/webapi  in your browser and get following answer:
    One or some of required parameters are missed.

Vadim

• Luís de Sousa

Luís de Sousa - 2011-03-10

Hi Vadim,

There 's no process listening on port 8000. Radix is up but on port 8080, what should be at 8000?

Thanks,

Luís

• Vadim Karacharski

Of course, use 8080 port for your installation ;)

Vadim

• Luís de Sousa

Luís de Sousa - 2011-03-10

Hi Vadim,

Changing the address to: http://127.0.0.1:8080/onceradix/webapi I got the answer you referred. I went to iReport and introducing the exact same address, this time the connection was successful. Again the address provided in the guide:

jdbc:once://http://server_ip:server_port/onceradix/webapi

Is not very explict, IMHO, especially when one has been configuring software for a few hours :)

Radix is on, hope it turns out to be as good as it seems.

Thank you very much,

Luís

• Moxmose

Moxmose - 2011-06-14

Hi quasitex_sw
    I tried to install Onceradix many and many times, but never (and i told NEVER) worked! I have tried many versions of postgre and tomcat but none of the combinations enetered worked (never seen the possibility to restore the db, and restoring it manually don't resolved). As a basis, could you give me an hand, can you tell me what S.O. and version are you using, so when I reach again the "dbrestore" screen I can ask you about the confirguration files? For now i have tried: Ubuntu 9/10/11, Fedora, Xp, a sandbox with Postgre/Tomcat…..
    Thank you very much…..

• Anonymous - 2011-08-01

Hello to everyone,
    I'm very interested in this project and I finally success to install a once:radix server version 1.5 on a virtual machine running Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS with Oracle Java 7, Apache Tomcat 7, PostgreSQL 9.
    I found some errors in once:radix_Linux_Install_Guide and I'm preparing a little tutorial with my correction to install on Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS. I'll link here soon.

• Moxmose

Moxmose - 2011-08-01

Really happy to try - there is the possibility to share the info's to try them ASAP (before the real correction of the guide)? A very little brief description of the type of errors can give me the possibility to understand the problem inside once:radix - also in italian ;)

• Anonymous - 2011-08-01

I think the problem on restoring the database refers to the file /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/once/config/configuration.dat where there are the links to restore and backup commands.
    I've uploaded my notes on the install on Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS and a "package" to automate the installation on that OS http://rairata.xoom.it/Blog/Voci/2011/8/1_Installare_server_Ubuntu_10.4_e_once_radix_1.5.html

• Moxmose

Moxmose - 2011-08-01

Thx! In the meantime switched back to Debian (like all the others that d'ont like the 11th release of Ubuntu), but I think that should not be a problem. I need only the time to make the VM working to try what you wrote. If you want, I'm reacheble at my username at tiscali.it server (I cannot find your reference to don't waste space here before well good words). 

• Anonymous - 2011-08-01

I think that on Debian it should be going well as on Ubuntu because Ubuntu is based on Debian, so the structure is similar.
    I have installed on Ubuntu Server 'cause I'm going to install a server to deploy a little database application to a client, and Ubuntu 10 is simple to install and maintain.
    I installed the system without selecting any package during installation to keep thing simple.
    If you have any trouble contact me: marco dot randon at gmail dot com

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks