Menu

php_odbtp_mssql.dll and PHP thread safety

Help
2008-09-08
2013-04-22
  • Luis de Vasconcelos

My php application needs to connect to a MS SQL 2005 database on Windows Server 2003 using ODBTP. I downloaded the php_odbtp_mssql.dll file from http://odbtp.cvs.sourceforge.net/odbtp/odbtp/php/bin_win32/php-5.2.x/
    and copied it into my \PHP\ext folder.

Everything works fine when I load the php_odbtp_mssql.dll file with the THREAD SAFE version of PHP 5.2.6 but when I use the NON-THREAD SAFE version of PHP 5.2.6 I get the following System error in my Windows Event Viewer:

Application popup: Warning : PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'C:\PHP\ext\php_odbtp_mssql.dll' - The specified module could not be found.

The php_odbtp_mssql.dll file is in the C:\PHP\ext\ folder.

Has the php_odbtp_mssql.dll file only been compiled for the thread safe version of PHP?

• Robert Twitty

Robert Twitty - 2008-09-08

Yes, it has only been compiled for the thread-safe version.

-- bob

• Luis de Vasconcelos

Thanks.

Is there a reason why you've only compiled it for the thread-safe version? Will ODBTP work with the non-thread-safe version of PHP?

• xianve

xianve - 2008-09-11

I can send you the NTS version for PHP 5.2.x
          Let me know your e-mail.

Best Regards

• JD Smith

JD Smith - 2008-09-11

I would greatly appreciate a copy of the NTS version for PHP 5.2.x as I need to ship this Server 2008 install to the data center Saturday and would prefer to run natively on IIS instead of having to install Apache in parallel like we have in the past.

Best regards,

JD Smith

• Robert Twitty

Robert Twitty - 2008-09-11

Until now, no one had requested a NTS version. I will need to evaluate what is required for it to work in a this environment.

-- bob

• Luis de Vasconcelos

The reason why I asked is that I'm running PHP on a Windows Server 2003 machine with the new FastCGI extension from Microsoft and the messages on the FastCGI forum indicate that the performance of FastCGI and the non-thread-safe version of PHP is much better than with the thread-safe version of PHP, so I would like to test ODBTP with the non-thread-safe version of PHP.

So, I'd really appreciate a non-thread-safe version of the php_odbtp_mssql.dll file.

Thanks.

• Luis de Vasconcelos

Robert,

According to some programmer people I spoke to, the only thing that changes when you compile a NTS version of the .dll is a few settings in the compiler.

Can you investigate the viablilty of this and compile an "official" NTS version of ODBTP for us?

Much appreciated...
        Thanks.

• Robert Twitty

Robert Twitty - 2008-09-11

For testing, I use Apache on Windows XP Pro with the Apache PHP module.

-- bob

• Robert Twitty

Robert Twitty - 2008-10-23

OK, I will look into to provided this version of the ext in the next release.

-- bob

• Robert Twitty

Robert Twitty - 2008-11-05

A non thread-safe version of the extension for 5.2.x has been added to the CVS under odbtp/php/bin_win32/5.2.x-nts.

-- bob

• xianve

xianve - 2008-11-05

Thanks Bob!

• Luis de Vasconcelos

THANKS Robert - much appreciated. I will test it asap.

• Robert Twitty

Robert Twitty - 2008-11-10

Great, let me know the results.

-- bob