Shelf search --

Newtron35
2005-06-13
2013-05-30
  • Newtron35

Newtron35 - 2005-06-13

With the end of the school year at hand (we use Openbiblio to run our K-8 private school library) we needed a quick way to scan the shelves in order to verify the status of all the books. 

I modified 4 files which will let you: scan a barcode with the scanner, return the title and status (just like in a "bibliography search") with the status in large red letters, and then refresh back to the Barcode number search page.  The refresh can be disabled by deleting 1 line of code, or you can change the refresh time with the "content= "# of seconds". I'm working on a way to "harvest" the scans so that we can compare the results to the current status of items in Openbiblio. (items sometimes "walk off" or might get reshelved by a well-meaning teacher that forgot that you have to check-in the book prior to reshelving)

We have 2 laptops on carts circulating around the room with scanners. 

If anyone is interested in the files, I'm happy to share them. Just email me @  nshaffer@sja.pvt.k12.or.us

(there are 4 files: 2 new (modified from 0.5.0 php pages  and 2 mods to ../cataloging.php and style.css.  No other 0.5.0 functions or files are changed, just the navbars on the Cataloging section to access "shelf search" and style.css to make the "status" more visible)

Cheers!