Shorter Loan Periods/Due Dates?

Help
2004-08-09
2013-05-30
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Would anyone happen to know how I could implement shorter loan periods/due dates (like 4, 8 or 12 hours, instead of the minimum of 1 day)?

So far, I have tried entering fractional values for the loan length/due date. I don't think this will work as it reverts to 0 after I apply the change.

Thanks for your help!

• Micah Stetson

Micah Stetson - 2004-08-10

First, you need to change the biblio_copy table to make the due_back_dt column a datetime value instead of just a date.  Then you probably want to change the collection_dm table to represent the checkout time some other way -- right now it's an integral number of days called days_due_back.  After that, you need to look at circ/checkout.php, classes/BiblioCopy.php and classes/BiblioCopyQuery.php to make these deal with the checkout interval in some other format and to change the idea of 'days late' to something more in line with what you want.  I think the hardest part will be determining how you want to represent lateness and the checkout time limit.  Something like MySQL's 'day_minute' interval format might be appropriate, but I'm not certain what's really best.

Out of curiosity, how are you wanting to use this?

Micah

• Nobody/Anonymous

Micah,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll take a stab at the modifications and see how it goes. I'm not as versed in PHP as I am in Perl, but I can muddle through.

Basically, the application is this: a friend's office deals with a lot of keys being checked out and returned. I would like to adapt this to have an inventory of keys (the catalog would suffice), a list of persons able to check out keys (patrons functionality is perfect) and have the ability to see which keys are late.

This way, my friend and her small staff can spend less time searching for keys that are checked out and more time doing whatever else it is that they do.

I figured that I would just print a unique barcode label for each keytag and assign them in the catalog as such. This way, they can just scan the key instead of squinting to see what the keytag says, typing it in, etc, etc.

Does this sound like a crazy idea or does it sound feasible?

Thanks,

Will
      spNOam@evSPerAMen.net

• Micah Stetson

Micah Stetson - 2004-08-11

Sounds like a great idea, let us know how it works out.

Micah

• Adam

Adam - 2009-06-08

Has anyone found a method to implement the a checkout timeframe for hours rather than days? We have several items that need to be checked out with a three hour window, rather than a full day. Also, fines would need to be calculated on the hour rather than a full day. Any thoughts? I'm going to try and take a stab at this in the coming week but am interested if anyone else has tried something like this.

• psuarz

psuarz - 2009-06-10

Time ago I followed the indications of mstetson https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=2706590 and it functions.
        I use day_hour instead of day on classes/biblioCopyQuery.php and /biblioStatusHistory.
        I changed the collection_dm/days_due_back to decimal 3,1. It funtions for 1 hour to 9 (0.1 to 0.9).

I also hacked another idea: add one field in collection_dm like hour_due_back in order to use hours in a "user friendly" way (now I use decimal). But, since I'm the admin of the library and I only need 3 hours, this option is good enough for me.

psuarz

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks