Issue with getting errors on top of page..

Help
2004-10-03
2013-05-30
  • Noel Whelan

Noel Whelan - 2004-10-03

I've had this issue a few times now. Once I even fixed it; but I'm getting the impression the fix I've implemented other times was impermanent. Overview:

On going to my OPAC page, I get the following errors on the top of the page:

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/php/data/sess_9e2c0eee8199af6a832be4cf8f25caa1, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /var/www/openssl/openbiblio/shared/read_settings.php on line 131

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/openssl/openbiblio/shared/read_settings.php:131) in /var/www/openssl/openbiblio/shared/read_settings.php on line 131

I overcame this issue last time by creating /tmp/data/php. I've got no idea why but once in a while I guess I lose this directory. Interestingly, that isn't working this time.

I've got my installation online at https://oelns.dyndns.org/openbiblio/opac/index.php - in case one wants to observe this for themselves. I'd be grateful for any input on this..

• Noel Whelan

Noel Whelan - 2004-10-03

Oh, this is on Fedora Core 1, OpenBiblio 0.4.0

• Micah Stetson

Micah Stetson - 2004-10-03

Odds are there's a cron job that cleans out /tmp and is deleting the directory.  If I were you, I would make a directory for sessions outside of /tmp and change php.ini to point to the new directory.  Another method would be to find the script that cleans /tmp and tell it to leave /tmp/php/data there.

I would venture to guess that it's tmpreaper that's doing the cleaning, but I don't use Fedora, so I'm not sure.  If it is tmpreaper, though, you could create a file in /tmp/php/data that is unwritable (or immutable, if you prefer).  Tmpreaper won't delete that file, and because it exists, it won't delete the directory.  See tmpreaper(8).

In a future release (probably the next one, but...) we're planning to move the session data into the database to eliminate this whole class of issues.

Micah

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments