Auto Barcode

Help
2004-10-15
2013-05-30
  • Joe Hagerty

Joe Hagerty - 2004-10-15

I know this hasn't come up in bit, but I ended up in IM with someone last night who needed this.  Basically they didn't want to enter barcodes manually since they didn't use them at all.  We talked through different ways to so this, but not being very comfortable with modifying lots of code this is what we settled on.

The caveat to this is that this should only be used in small libraries... There is no guarentee that this number is absolutely unique... I have added about 100 copies of biblios and they have been unique so far.....

There may be some really good reasons to not use this... so I am posting here for discussion....

WARNING############################
    This is not guarenteed to work and will not be supported by the development team... Hack your code at your own risk.
    WARNING############################

in biblio_copy_new_form.php find the line that states the following:
          <? php printInputText("barcodeNmbr",20,20,$postVars,$pageErrors); ?>

Should be about line 68

after the <? php hit enter and add:
          $postVars["barcodeNmbr"]=uniqid($bibid);

the lines should look like:

<?php
          $postVars["barcodeNmbr"]=uniqid($bibid);
          printInputText("barcodeNmbr",20,20,$postVars,$pageErrors);
          ?>

basically that creates a 13 digit number based on microtime that is prefixed with the bibid of the biblio item... to get just the 13 digit number remove $bibid and replace with '' like so:

$postVars["barcodeNmbr"]=uniqid('');

• Hans van der Weij

Small libraries especially can benefit from automatic barcode numbers. Why enter numbers if you don't  use them? But I think there is more to it:
      - Sometimes even a small library owns multiple copies of a title.
      - Circulation in OpenBiblio is based on barcode numbers.

I have made an attempt to solve this and posted a patch some time ago, to be used in my small library, and others if they like it. (discussion appreciated)
      It features automatic barcode number for biblio copies and additional:
      - Copy Number for differentiating one copy
      of a book from another
      - No need to label the holdings with barcode.

See the patches section:
      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1017677&group_id=50071&atid=458476

• Nobody/Anonymous

Even a small library can benefit from actual barcodes. An excellent barcode scanner can be had for around $70 (search Kanescan on google for a special deal) and the codes themselves can be printed with any word processor using Free 3of9 font (a free download - use google) and attached to the inside cover with a good transparent tape.

IMHO it is a better option than working around the system.

• Hans van der Weij

I agree on the benefit from actual barcodes, but as you described in short it takes some trouble to produce them as long as OpenBiblio doesn't do this for us. Also the librarian has to invent a numbering system, make sure this keeps working (fool proof). And do not underestimate the time it takes to attach the labels. For 1200 books I calculated it would take me more than a week working full time (together with some cleaning and repairing). Then I still would have some 3000 infrequently circulated items items to go...

When using the patch the librarian can choose to postpone (some of) the labelling.

Actually the autobarco patch doesn't work around the barcode system in OpenBiblio, it just creates the numbers automatically and enables a 'lookup' for the barcode number that corresponds to the copy to be checked out or in. (This search/lookup functionality was already built in for making holds.)

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks