Varaible Due Date

Help
2005-02-02
2013-05-30
  • Nobody/Anonymous

We have started to use OpenBiblio for circulating laptops to our faculty and it's a great program!  I was wondering if there's a way to set variable due dates on any single item (ie week, month, semester, etc) rather then only having a single due date for a collection.  I know we can let the loan become overdue, but that's not a good solution as it messes up the activity reports.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

• Micah Stetson

Micah Stetson - 2005-02-02

It wouldn't be too difficult to make a local modification for this, but there really isn't any way to do it in the system as-is.

Do the times you want things to go out for really vary with every item, or is there some way you could devide them up into collections?  I.e. have a 'Laptops/Month' collection, a 'Laptops/Week' collection, etc.

For semesters, it might be a bit harder.  Do you want items that go out mid-semester to be due the same time as items that go out at the beginning?  That would take hand editing or a little custom code.

Micah

• Nobody/Anonymous

Micah,

Since I want to be able to circulate any laptop and not have a "special collection", it would be useful to have an option on the due date, so that if you just want to borrow it for a day you wouldn't have to do anything. Otherwise, you would select a return date.  Thanks!

Mark

• Micah Stetson

Micah Stetson - 2005-02-04

Ah.  What you want is a list of possible due dates that the person making the checkout can select from, right?  I don't think that would be hard at all, but I also don't think it's of enough general interest for us to want to do it for the main distribution (unless a bunch of other people want to chime in here and prove me wrong).

I suggest getting someone who knows PHP to make a quick modification for you -- I don't imagine it would cost very much.  If you don't know anyone, you might try asking on this forum: several people here have already done some customization, so they're already familiar with the OpenBiblio code.  If you do get somebody to modify it for you, I'd be happy to answer any questions they have about the code.

Micah

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks!  I do some PHP programming so perhaps I can piece together the code. 

Mark

• Nobody/Anonymous

A calendar function for variable due dates would be helpful. Useful for oddball items or perhaps holidays.

In any case, being able to rule out holiday/weekends by a circulation calendar in general would be useful.

• Micah Stetson

Micah Stetson - 2005-02-04

That would be helpful.  Something like that is on my to-do list for some clients' custom version.  I'm not sure if or when it might make it into the main tree, though.

Micah

• Adam

Adam - 2009-05-10

Hi Micah -

Has this made it into any production version as of this point?

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks