NTOP

NST
4evernoob
2013-05-09
2013-05-10
  • 4evernoob
    4evernoob
    2013-05-09

Ok so I'm trying to get ntop running and at this point I can run ntop @/etc/ntop.conf and it runs fine but when I try to run it with systemd it fails. To get this far I modified /etc/ntop.conf and I had noticed in there that it was setup to use --db-file-path /var/nst/ntop instead of --db-file-path /var/lib/ntop . Of course nothing worked until I changed that but now I'm wondering if there is a NST way of setting this up. I tried to turn on the service in the wui but got no where with that so headed out on my own. Syslog reports that it can't load the geoip.dat files but I'm pretty sure that systemd is running ntop @/etc/ntop.conf but admittedly I'm still pretty green on systemd. Please advise.

• There are some pretty extensive instructions with screen shots on setting up ntop with geolocation features enabled.

See: "HowTo Geolocate ntop Data" at: http://wiki.networksecuritytoolkit.org/nstwiki/index.php/HowTo_Geolocate_ntop_Data

Have you seen this and found problems with the instructions? It would help us out if you could review the instructions and let us know if there are problems that need to be corrected.

• 4evernoob
    4evernoob
    2013-05-10

I looked in Getting started and howto's but didn't find anything. I figured you guys would have something, thats what I like about this distro is the attention to these types of details but I can never find it when I need it, I always "come across" juicy stuff but never when I actually need it. Let me go through it but I'm sure it's got what I need thanks.