aryker - 2014-02-24

Hey everyone-

I just finished upgrading my system from NST 18 to NST 20 using the new Fedup utility, and I thought I would post some observations I had in case they will help anyone else:

I followed the steps listed on the wiki page exactly and the update process went without a hitch. As the wiki page noted, the process took significantly longer than it would have taken me to re-install from a live USB(it took most of the afternoon.) However, once I started the process it completed by itself, with little to no babysitting required on my part.

After installation finished, I noticed that NetworkManager stopped managing one of my ethernet interfaces. It also renamed that interface. This was relatively easy to fix--all I needed to do was rename an ifcfg script in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. If anyone runs into similar issues, you can have a look at this page for reference.

This is probably just a discrepancy between yum repositories somewhere, but I did need to use the --skip-broken flag to install the @MATE packages correctly, due to a package conflict. Doing this resulted in a working installation.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this tool--it turns a job I usually put off doing into something where I can start it up, leave it alone for a few hours, and come back with an upgraded system!