Menu

NST34 & SNORT

NST
joesox
2021-06-22
2021-06-24
  • joesox

joesox - 2021-06-22

I am having issues with running a stable SNORT in NST 34. I don't wish to revert back to NST32, so hoping someone else is encountering this.

I got SNORT running but when I run the dump stats button it doesn't provide the stats and the instance starts reloading and gets stuck at reloading.
    I am not finding any errors in the logs so not sure if it is a settings change or if I should just revert back as I am running out of time to fix this.
    I also can not get it to trigger alerts when testing. I was only able to trigger a custom rule to get it to display in squil. I ran some outside the network scans which normally trigger alerts and nothing triggered.

Any second eyes appreciated before I revert back to NST32

• Ronald W. Henderson

You have identified a bug when dumping snort stats. Currently you can manually send a SIGUSR1 signal to the running snort instance at a bash shell.

Example for snort process: 213972

kill -9 SIGUSR1 213972;

We will be working on a fix for this issue.

We have had no know issues triggering snort alerts. Please recheck your snort rules and "Home Net" and "External Net" settings.

• joesox

joesox - 2021-06-23

Excellent Ron! Thanks for looking into that.
    It is possible the light external scan I did wasn't enough to trigger something and my network is clean. The Qualys scans normally trigger alerts but I lost my subscription recently so I used another tool.
    It is nice to I didn't cause the stats dump issue.

• Ronald W. Henderson

Ok here is the solution for the snort stats action. We have published a public repository for NST 34.

For non-NST Pro users: On the command line type the following.

dnf clean all;
    dnf upgrade nstwui nstwui-filesystem snort;

• joesox

joesox - 2021-06-24

Thank you!
    SNORT is sending alerts now in my NST34 box after running the commands.
    Still not sure what the Stats button is doing as when I go to view the messages log I don't see the typical dump or any dump. However, that isn't important for what I need SNORT for.
    Thanks for taking the time to look at this issue.