clamav fails to run at startup and does not even display as a servive to be turned on in the service manager

NST
stuufff
2014-03-23
2014-03-24
  • stuufff

stuufff - 2014-03-23

This is not looking good in addition aqemu not working and to having trouble installing vmware workstation because vmware does not see the installation as true x64 bit, but as x64 bit capable, and the annoying scroll bars that make it difficult to move one line at a time, the virus scanner doesn't work. I have reinstalled clamav using yum reinstall even though yumex claims it is already there, to no avail, some clamav components are missing that are needed for clamav to be a startup service. You need vmware or some type of qemu gui interface for your specialty boxes such as DDOS, etc. No one box can handle all the different exploits. Without DDOS a firewall is powerless to stop gigabytes of bad packets from flooding the firewall (learned the hard way all my firewalls harware and software were taken down by packet flooding and man in the middle attacks). A security box must do more than watch the attack, you need tools to stop the attack--specialized scripts that tell the box what to do when certain exploits occur or prevent them from occurring. As a matter of fact you need one menu alone just for a collection of scripts to handle exploits--todays exploits are too complicated to manually configure firewalls everytime they occur. I didn't mean to rant, but I don't have a phd in security so I need application tools that can be applied without having to spend years learning about it. On the otherhand this would be a good samsung android app if was proactive as opposed to passive, which is what it needs to be for not so smart engineers like me who do not specialize in security. Right now this is a watchbox that would take a not so smart engineer like me painstakingly months to configure to be even minimally effective. It takes less than a day to take a network down so while I would be learning your box I could not take it online on a full time basis for fear of brute force intrusion.

Failed to start from command line:

[root@localhost nst]# /sbin/service clamd restart
    Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart clamd.service
    Failed to issue method call: Unit clamd.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    [root@localhost nst]# /sbin/service clamav restart
    Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart clamav.service
    Failed to issue method call: Unit clamav.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    [root@localhost nst]# service clamav restart
    Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart clamav.service
    Failed to issue method call: Unit clamav.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

Clip from System Services Management:
    canberra-system-shutdown
    (inactive:dead) Play Shutdown Sound

canberra-system-shutdown-reboot
    (inactive:dead) Play Reboot Sound

cgconfig
    (inactive:dead) Control Group configuration service

cgred
    (inactive:dead) CGroups Rules Engine Daemon

chrony-wait
    (inactive:dead) Wait for chrony to synchronize system clock

chronyd
    (inactive:dead) NTP client/server

clamd.dansguardian
    (failed:failed) Clamd Dansguardian An Interface Between MTA And Content Checkers

colord
    (active:running) Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles

conntrackd
    (inactive:dead) connection tracking daemon for debugging and High Availablity

console-getty
    (inactive:dead) Console Getty

• Paul Blankenbaker

I don't think the Network Security Toolkit is the correct Linux distribution for what you want to want to accomplish. I would encourage you to investigate other Linux distributions.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks