Menu

Help with first boot

NST
2017-07-30
2017-08-01
  • Michael Anastasia

Apologies if the details here are insufficient, I can supply more info upon request. I'm trying to boot NST for the first time and I'm getting dumped into an 'emergency shell'. This has happened to me on several different computers, trying both a bootable dvd and a bootable USB stick that I created from the nst-24-7977.x86_64.iso.

The menu appears to pick graphical desktop or console, but whichever I chose the next thing I see in the console says "
    platform MSFT0101:00 failed to claim resource 1
    acpi MSFT0101:00 platform device creation failed -16"
    ..several messages that start with [OK], the last of these is ...
    "[OK] Reached targe basic system"
    Then a bunch of printouts indicating dracut-initqueue starting timeout scripts
    Then ultimately I see "entering emergency mode" and a shell prompt appears.

I ran journalctl and there appear to be some error messages at the end about not being able to find /dev/disk/by-label/nst-24-7977.x86_64, but with ls I can see that /dev/disk/by-label/nst-24-7977 exists (note the lack of .x86_64

Can anyone help me out, either with things to try or requests for more info about the output?

• Paul Blankenbaker

Is it possible that you have a partial ISO image?

Did you verify the checksum on the ISO image that you downloaded?

[root@circus nst-24-7977]# sha1sum nst-24-7977.x86_64.iso 
    c51bad046e992bec32b1337f47a59a00d196c277  nst-24-7977.x86_64.iso
    [root@circus nst-24-7977]# md5sum nst-24-7977.x86_64.iso 
    10d018e4ac115eaf390554d8329bd4d4  nst-24-7977.x86_64.iso
    [root@circus nst-24-7977]# 

Also, when your system boots, do you see the background image with the eye (like the one shown at http://wiki.networksecuritytoolkit.org/index.php/NST_Getting_Started#Live_Boot_and_Use), or a plain text boot screen (an EFI boot)? If it is an EFI boot, can you try disabling EFI temporarily to see if that makes a difference?

Good luck.

• Michael Anastasia

I did verify the checksums and they match. I get the eye and the menu. I've tried both the console boot and graphical desktop options from that screen, both lead to the same result.

• Paul Blankenbaker

Sorry to hear that it is giving you such a fight to boot.

I just booted the nst-24-7977.x86_64.iso in VirtualBox and had no issue. My guess is that your system has some hardware that isn't fully supported by the kernel included with NST 24. I did come across some notes on a different Linux distribution where the person was receiving similar error messages as you and needed to add some kernel parameters to the boot line.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=207749

You can adjust the boot parameters by pressing tab on the entry you want to boot.

Do you have another 64 bit system you could try booting from to verify that the media is OK?

• Michael Anastasia

Excellent idea. The image booted just fine for me in virtualbox, which should be good enough for my needs. Not certain why it isn't getting along with my bare metal, but now I don't have to care. Thank you Paul.