include lisp .el files in the binary package

Misc
2004-02-14
2004-04-28
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Could you please provide the lisp .el files in the binary package? It will be convenient to made changes on .el file if necessary.
    Thanks.

• Stefan Daschek

Stefan Daschek - 2004-02-15

The reason for not including .el files is to keep the binary packages as small as possible: The first release, http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/nqmacs/emacs-21.3.50.1-20031013-win32.zip?download  , which included .el files, is about 30MB, compared to about 20MB of the subsequent releases without .el files.

However, I see that it would be useful to have the .el files too, so I think I will provide an additional package containing the .el files only for each release from now on.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Agree with you. It doesn't make a lot of sense to add .el  files for the old release.
      Thanks you.

• Nobody/Anonymous

It isn't just useful, the GPL requires you to provide FULL SOURCE (this includes .c/.h files as well as .el). You can keep it in a seperate tar file to keep the downloads small, but you must provide it. I posted a message to the bug tracker on 2 Feb about this, but you don't seem to have noticed it.

• Stefan Daschek

Stefan Daschek - 2004-02-20

You're right about that. For subsequent releases I will provide the c-sources used for compiling as well as the el-sources in seperate tarballs.

Sorry about not reacting to the bug tracker item, the tracker was not configured to send entries by mail. This is now fixed.

• Nobody/Anonymous

There is a script in admin/nt for making releases. You might want to use that to make sure you include all the right files. Probably you want to post the src, lisp and bin packages.

• Nobody/Anonymous

You seem to be willfully ignoring this issue. The previously filed bug was closed the same day you released yet another binary-only version.

• Stefan Daschek

Stefan Daschek - 2004-04-28

The source archive is already on my harddisk and will be on sourceforge during the next 24 hours. Just be a little patient ;)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks