NppToR continually closes after ~2 minutes

erocheta
2011-05-16
2013-05-08
  • erocheta

erocheta - 2011-05-16

Each instance of NppToR I run closes after around 2 minutes and stops sending code to R. I am using latest R 2.13.0, Notepad ++ v5.9 and NppToR 2.5.3 and SDI mode. I am using Windows XP. There is no warning when it closes and it closes roughly after the same amount of time.

• Andrew Redd

Andrew Redd - 2011-05-16

question. Does it close after code is sent or after 2 minutes regardless?

Do you have any external protection that might be stopping it.  Anti-virus, or corporate control-ware?

Is this new behavior or has this been happening since you started using NppToR, and how long have you been using NppToR?

• erocheta

erocheta - 2011-05-17

Thanks for your quick response.
    It closes after around 2 minuted regardless if code has been sent or not. Yes, there is external protection anti-virus (Synamtec Endpoint Protection) and corporate control-ware (SOE configured by corporation with limited user privileges).
    This has been happening since I first installed in on my machine 2 months ago.
    Any Ideas on how I or NppToR can get around this?
    As I am currently the only user, corporation wont investigate.

• Andrew Redd

Andrew Redd - 2011-05-17

If you can install AuothotKey you can run NppToR as a ahk script.  I assume that if you are that locked down you probably would not be able to do that.  You can run ahk without installing as well.  Just down load the zip.

My guess is that there is a conflict with the ahk components and the corporate control-ware.  One way that we could confirm that is to try using another ahk based program like texter, and see if that gets killed that as well.
    http://lifehacker.com/238306/lifehacker-code-texter-windows

So here would be my suggestion to help figure things out.
    1. run NppToR as a script from source.  download the zip file or check out a version from the svn repository.  Checking out is probably best as folder structure is preserved.  otherwise email me through my halpo@users.sourceforge.net and I can send you a custom zip to help with this.

if NppToR does not run as a script
    2. Run a simple example ahk script.

If that does not work the conflict is with ahk. Not much we can do if you can't get rid of the controlware.  If it does work:
    3. Try a compiled/bundled ahk based program like texter.  If that works there is a problem within NppToR that we will have to narrow down.  We can strip to basic functionality that you need, or replicate in a simpler script.

Lets see how that goes.

• erocheta

erocheta - 2011-05-19

Thanks Halpo,

So the problem is Symantec's Bloodhound.SONAR.2 Trojan Horse detector shutting down the .exe as it forms a "potentially unknown risk" . Texter is also automatically terminated.
    But ahk files work through Autohotkey.
    I have emailed you to discuss further.

Thanks

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks