MS Word-style case change (Shift+F3 feature): change the case of selected text from upper to lower to title

Abbas
2013-08-11
2014-11-16
  • Abbas

Abbas - 2013-08-11

:::python

# MS Word has the option of changing the case of selected text by pressing Shift+F3
    # The case changes in the order: UPPER CASE, lower case, Title Case
    # It was something I was missing in Notepad++ so I wrote the following script to add the change case feature
    # Remember to associate this script with Shift+F3 key combination in the Shortcut Mapper

text = editor.getSelText()

if text: # Do this only if some text has been selected
        checkingFuncs = [lambda s: s.isupper(), lambda s: s.islower(),  lambda s: s.istitle(),  lambda s: True]
        alteringFuncs = [lambda s: s.lower(),   lambda s: s.title(),        lambda s: s.upper(),        lambda s: s.upper()]
        numOfFuncs = len(checkingFuncs)

for i in range(0, numOfFuncs): # Iterate through the list of checking functions
            if checkingFuncs[i](text): # Check the existing case of the text
                text = alteringFuncs[i](text) # Based on the result of checking function, change the case in this order: upper->lower, lower->title, title->upper, anything else->upper
                break

start = editor.getSelectionStart() # Record the start and end position of the selection
        end =   editor.getSelectionEnd()

editor.replaceSel(text) # Replace the originally selected text with altered-case text, this will end the selection as well

editor.setSel(start, end) # Select the newly altered text

• Abbas

Abbas - 2014-11-16
      # Edited to include changes suggested by Rufus in the comments

text = editor.getSelText()

if text:
          # tuples of check and alter functions
          functable = [
                      (lambda s: s.isupper(), lambda s: s.lower()),
                      (lambda s: s.islower(), lambda s: s.title()),
                      (lambda s: s.istitle(), lambda s: s.upper()),
                      (lambda s: True,        lambda s: s.upper())
                      ]

for check, alter in functable: # Iterate through the list of checking and altering functions
              if check(text):
                  text = alter(text)
                  break

start = editor.getSelectionStart()
          end = editor.getSelectionEnd()

editor.replaceSel(text)

editor.setSel(start, end)

Last edit: Abbas 2014-11-26
  • Rufus V. Smith

Rufus V. Smith - 2014-09-10

Nicely done. The only issue I have is the need for indexing into arrays. I think it is prettier Python doing the checks and alters this way:

functable = [  # tuples of check_function, alter_function
    (lambda s: s.isupper(), lambda s: s.lower()),
    (lambda s: s.islower(), lambda s: s.title()),
    (lambda s: s.istitle(), lambda s: s.upper()),
    (lambda s: True,        lambda s: s.upper())
    ]
    for check,alter in functable:
        if check(text): 
            alter(text)
            break

You've inspired me to create a "invert case" function, because I'm forever typing labels with my caps-lock on!

P.S. if you already have the first macro in and are a lazy typer like I am, you can just put the following line after your existing function tables:

functable = zip(checkingFuncs, alteringFuncs)

(I also like having checks and alters in a single list, so I don't have two lists to keep in sync if I decide to change one.)

• Abbas

Abbas - 2014-11-16

Excellent suggestion, indexing into the arrays always troubled me subconsciously, and while I too am a lazy typist, the improvement in code was too good to just use the zip function. I have updated my post.

The only change I made was assign text to the alter functions return value.

Please continue to share suggestions. Will look forward to your script contributions as well.

Regards,

Abbas

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks