Tooltips for icons

Help
2010-12-30
2013-01-25
  • Gilles COSTA

Gilles COSTA - 2010-12-30

Hello,

I'm a beginner inPython but found this Notepad++ plugin very usefull and really easy to learn.

I wrote several script and managed to add them in the toolbar, but cannot figure out how to add tooltips for those icons. Is there a way to achieve that ?

By the way, the only icons I managed to get displayed are BMP so no transparency :( Are there any spécification to get real ICO file to get displayed ?

Thanks in advance and, once again, thanks for that great plugin.

• Dave Brotherstone

Hi,
    Glad you like the plugin.  As for the tooltips, sadly not at the moment.  This is a limitation in Notepad++, in that it takes the tooltip from the text of the "plugin command" - the toolbar icons that PythonScript adds are only "virtual" plugin commands, so don't have any text associated with them.  If I get chance in the new year I'll propose a patch that would allow a plugin to set its own tooltip text.

The BMP limitation is also in Notepad++ - the image list it gets loaded into has very few options set, so you're stuck with limited options.  That again needs to be changed in Notepad++ itself.

Cheers,
    Dave.

• Gilles COSTA

Gilles COSTA - 2010-12-31

Thanks for your quick answer. So I'll will do without tooltips :(