Handle pop-up confirmation boxes

Help
Jae Pea
2011-03-15
2013-01-25
  • Jae Pea

Jae Pea - 2011-03-15

I have a basic python script that calls the plugin NppExport in order to 'Export to RTF'.  Unfortunately this raises a dialog box that requests that the proposed file name be confirmed.

Is there any way to handle pop-up confirmation boxes?  I would like to simply "press enter" on the default button.

• Dave Brotherstone

Not directly.  If there was an (programmable) interface to NppExport then maybe we could add a module for it, but as far as I know there isn't.  You might be able to do something with SendKeys, to send the enter key to the dialog after a short delay. 

http://www.rutherfurd.net/python/sendkeys/

I've not had chance to have a look yet - and it includes a module, which may or may not work.  I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can build it to be compatible with PythonScript.

Cheers,
    Dave.

• Jae Pea

Jae Pea - 2011-03-17

Thanks Dave, that would be great.

• Dave Brotherstone

Ok, seems to work:

import SendKeys
    import time
    import threading
    def sendEnter():
        SendKeys.SendKeys("{ENTER}")
    timer = threading.Timer(0.5, sendEnter)
    timer.start()
    notepad.runPluginCommand('NppExport', 'Export to HTML')

The only trick is that as runPluginCommand doesn't return until the plugin has finished it's command, you need to start a thread to send the enter - but as you can see that's very easy. 

You need to download the SendKeys.zip (in the ExtraPythonLibs directory under the download section) and add the contents (the SendKeys.py and _sendkeys.pyd) to your Notepad++\plugins\PythonScript\lib directory. 

You may need to alter the 0.5 number in the script - that's half a second to wait while the window opens - for me that seems to work every time, but YMMV. 

I've only just uploaded the file, so it may take a few minutes before you can see it.

Hope that works for you!

Dave.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks