Menu

Multiple Profiles

Jeff
2007-11-01
2013-05-21
  • Jeff

Jeff - 2007-11-01

Spell-Checker does not seem to work in XP when multiple user profiles are enabled.

Spell-Checker has not able to locate Aspell.  I am using a relative path.  I have tried installing Aspell to Program Files and using the path "..\Aspell\bin".  I have tried installing Aspell to the Notepad++ directory and used the path "Aspell\bin".  I restart Notepad++.  I restart my computer.  Every time, I get the error message: "GNU Aspell and/or dictionaries are missing..."

The only thing peculiar about my setup is that, for security reasons, I use multiple user profiles in XP (one admin profile for program installation and other non-admin for common usage).

In each of the user profiles, a local instance of Notepad++ is installed to "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Notepad++".  Aspell does not install a local instance in each of the user profiles (i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Aspell"), only to "C:\Program Files\Aspell".  So I tried using the relative path "..\..\..\..\Program Files\Aspell\bin", but when I restart Notepad++, that path gets truncated to "..\..\..\..\Program Files\Aspell", so that does not work.  I installed Aspell to the Notepad++ directory in each of the local profiles (i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Notepad++\Aspell\bin") and used the relative path "Aspell\bin".  That did not work.

I am out of ideas.  Do you have any thoughts on how I can resolve this?

P.S.  Other than this, Notepad++ has been phenomenal to use.  Thank you for all your hard work.

• Jens Lorenz

Jens Lorenz - 2007-11-05

Did you install one of the available dictionaries?

• Humage

Humage - 2008-01-30

I am getting the same problem as Jeff. I've even taken the sames steps. I have also downloaded and installed the English dictionary.

This Notepad++ is an excellent product. I've even got MSU-Northern professors using it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Jens Lorenz

Jens Lorenz - 2008-02-01

Ok, I read the first post carefully again. First I have to say that Notepad++ works with multiple user profiles and also the Spell-Checker plugin. What do you need:

- Notepad++ needs to be reachable by all users in Program Folder as well as Aspell.
          So install it on X:\Program Files\Notepad++\...

- Notepad++ creates automaticaly after install an config folder under
          %APPDATA%\Notepad++\...

- Plugins uses the path:
          %APPDATA%\Notepad++\plugins\Config\...

- To install Aspell use everytime the installer, for Aspell itself as well as the dictionaries! X:\Program Files\Aspell\

This is currently the only way to make it work for different user profiles.

Best Regards
      Jens