Menu

Any Doco anywhere? Won't install using Plugin Manager

Help
dbareis
2023-06-24
2023-07-20
  • dbareis

dbareis - 2023-06-24

I'm trying to install in "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\plugins\config" (where my other plugin s are). I've tied in a subdirectory as well, and with and without the leading underscore on "_CustomizeToolbar.dll".

I'm guess from what I've found (as there seems to be no doco) that when it is installed I should see it under the "Plugins" menubar tab.

• dbareis

dbareis - 2023-06-24

This only seems to work in the program files plugin directory, not the user one.

• pryrt

pryrt - 2023-07-20

What version of Notepad++ are you using?

Plugin DLLs have never gone in AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\plugins\config that I can remember (that's the directory for their config files, not their DLLs), and they haven't gone in AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\plugins\ for at least 5 years -- I know for sure that with v7.6-7.6.3 in 2018, when they reorganized the structure, it was made so plugin DLLs could only go in <install_dir>\plugins\<PluginName>\, and I thought that even before that, it was the default of the old Plugin Manager plugin to put them in the <install_dir> hierarchy rather than in AppData.

Also, the old "Plugin Manager" plugin hasn't shipped with Notepad++ since v7.4.2 in 2017, and the v7.6-v7.6.3 changes made Plugin Manager incompatible with Notepad++, and that tool is no longer maintained. Since v7.6, there has been a built-in Plugins Admin tool inside Notepad++, which installs plugins (including Customize Toolbar) in the right locations.

as there seems to be no doco

This plugin installation process -- both via Plugins Admin and manual installation -- is described in the Notepad++ Online User Manual, and has been since the new npp-user-manual.org website was released in 2019. Hence, individual plugins don't need to document how to install themselves.

Summary

In case I wasn't clear: in modern Notepad++, you need to use the built-in Plugins Admin to install plugins in the right place, and that tool works just fine with Customize Toolbar. If you want to manually install it (to make it hard on yourself) in a normal installation, you need to put _CustomizeToolbar.dll as C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins\_CustomizeToolbar\_CustomizeToolbar.dll or Notepad++ will not see it.

Last edit: pryrt 2023-07-20