Menu

Find dialog is just wrong in too many ways

Andrew
2015-01-15
2015-05-03
  • Andrew

Andrew - 2015-01-15

I've been using Crimson Editor (and I sill am) and when I first saw the Notepad++ search dialog and its behaviour I immediately restored my file associations to Crimson Editor.

Here is what a proper and simple search dialog looks and acts like:
    find

Small, with the essential features, auto-closes itself after pressing Enter and selects the next match in document.

The dialog from Notepad++ is extremely big (to accomodate lots of useless empty space) and includes stuff like "Transparency". Is there no more room in the Settings dialog? Why would someone need to change the dialog transparency in a constant/regular basis? Also, checkboxes and frame objects are not transparent, you can see they are slightly darker than the background and they are not even properly aligned to anything.

Last: it does not even hide itself after pressing Enter, instead it remains there annoying and taking up all the screen space, so I have to manually move it. Very useful feature if you need to waste more time.

Is there a plugin to have a "normal" search dialog, please?

PS. the so called "Find volatile next/previous" options should be defaulted to F3 and F4 respectively, then you'll see WHY the search dialog should be closed after pressing Enter to find.

PS2. I see developers even have time to release totally irrelevant Charlie editions, I hope they also have time to either:

• Fix the dialog, make it 2x smaller, remove the tabs, etc etc
    • Create a new dialog (see screenshot) and enable it with a "Use simple Find dialog" in the settings panel. This would be a blessing. Also make sure it closes itself upon pressing Enter, for Charlie's sake.

Thank you.

Last edit: Andrew 2015-01-15
  • pirate ninja

pirate ninja - 2015-04-24

i like that it doesn't close, makes it more useful for searching and adjusting search, especially while coding. auto closing should be optional.

i don't like how it'll auto copy the word my cursor happens to be on into the search box, erasing whatever i had there, so i have to go and rewrite what i was searching for every time i open it, for example to adjust it.