Menu

ComparePlugin 1.5.6.5

UFO
2014-12-30
2015-01-04
  • UFO

UFO - 2014-12-30

Hello,

NEW: Flash window when restarting "Previous" or "Next" diff search from top or
    bottom (a la N++'s "Wrap around" search mode)
    NEW: Auto "Clear Results" when closing one of both compared files
    NEW: Warning message box before displaying high amount of differing lines (more than 1000)
    NEW: Navigation bar: Better visibility of small diff places in large documents (minimum height of 25 pixels)
    FIX: Navigation bar: Wrong display in wrapped mode
    FIX: Navigation bar: Dragged selection jumping to bottom when dragging above top
    FIX: Navigation bar: Selection not changing after first click (only after second click)
    FIX: Navigation bar: Scrolling by clicking (regression in 1.5.6.4)
    FIX: Mouse scrolling in inactive view (regression in 1.5.6.4)
    FIX: Automatically jump to first difference after comparison (regression in 1.5.6.4)
    FIX: Don't always force focusing second view after comparing
    FIX: Focus not returned to N++ after first comparison

-> DOWNLOAD <-

• Yaron

Yaron - 2014-12-30

Hello UFO,

What a brilliant work!
    Better than I had expected; I didn't think you would include the "Flash window" feature in this version. Excellent.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your patience and serious attitude.

Two (really) minor issues:

1) Option -> Change Highlight -> More Colors -> OK.
    Result: Unknown Exception.
    2) If you close ONE of the compared files, the buttons remain active.
    And apropos: if ONE file is duplicated and displayed in two views, the result of 'Compare' should be "Nothing to compare". Shouldn't it?

Please don't mind my raising again the "Close Compared Files" button in the "Files match" dialog.
    Could this feature be implemented in a future version? It can be very convenient.

I wish you the very best.

• UFO

UFO - 2014-12-30

Hi,

thanks for quickly testing it, although I can't reproduce your reported bugs again:
    1) I tried clicking "OK"..
    a) with and without actually changing the color
    b) with comparison active and inactive
    c) with no documents open
    ..and everything went fine. Can you reproduce it yourself with a vanilla N++ again?
    2) Well, the "auto clear" was namely a new feature, thus I audited everything as much as I could. With a vanilla N++ again? Share a more detailed step by step?

About "Nothing to compare" and "Close compared files", I simply don't know yet.

Regards

• Yaron

Yaron - 2014-12-30

Testing it was a pleasure. :) Thanks again.

1)
    The culprit is, yet again, the nav bar.

Uncheck "Navigation Bar".
    Close NP (IMPORTANT).
    Compare two unmatched files.
    Option -> Change Highlight -> More Colors -> Select a different color -> OK.

2)
    If you close ALL files (with the Close All command) after a comparison, the buttons become inactive.
    If, however, you close one file (or all files one after the other), the buttons remain active.

This is really a minor issue. I'm not sure it's worth your time.

Best regards.

• Yaron

Yaron - 2014-12-30

Allow me to express again my appreciation to your work.
    I love the new "Flash window" feature.

I've just noticed an interesting behavior in the new version:

Check View -> Wrap.
    Compare two unmatched files which include a very long line (so that when wrapped, you get a good few 'virtual' lines) in the same line number.
    When you get to that line, the synchronized vertical scrolling stops working until you get to the next physical line (unlike the behavior in v1.5.6.3).
    If you manually check "Synchronize Vertical Scrolling", the scroll bars start shaking when you get to that line.

This is also a minor issue. If it doesn't require a lot of work, it would be better to fix it.
    If you're fed up, let me know. :)

Best regards.

Last edit: Yaron 2014-12-30
  • UFO

UFO - 2014-12-30

1) OK, thanks.. this one is fixed now too. Imho not really a minor issue, if somebody doesn't use the nav bar.

2) Actually I always checked by manually closing ONE of the compared files. In other words, I definitely can't reproduce it, unless you share a more detailed step by step.

Regarding the "stops working until you get to the next physical line", I know what you mean, but there's nothing to fix. It's just the best I can get out of it when word wrap mode is active. Both views are always vertically sync'ed by matching their "first visible lines". If the code lines are very long this sometimes results in "buggy" looking jump behavior, although the match is done.

• Yaron

Yaron - 2014-12-31

Thank you for fixing the Exception issue, and also for the explanation regarding the synchronized vertical scrolling.

I downloaded again a fresh copy of NP.
    - The buttons remain active even if I close all files.

So, there must be some misunderstanding.
    The menu commands work as expected; they become inactive upon closing one file.
    I'm referring to the Toolbar Buttons which are automatically added to the toolbar after installing the Compare plugin.

As for the different behavior between my NP and a fresh copy:
    I have the Customize Toolbar plugin installed, and with it there's a difference between closing one file and closing all.
    (Interestingly, after opening any menu and returning to the editor - the Toolbar Buttons become inactive).

Without the Customize Toolbar plugin, the Toolbar Buttons are always active.

If I'm wrong and you're also referring to the Toolbar Buttons:
    I use Windows 7 32-bit bilingual system.

Have a great day.

• UFO

UFO - 2014-12-31

Ah OK, you were talking about the toolbar buttons! They also always have been active in the past, because there has never been code for graying them out. I was confused, as I thought that you reported a "fresh bug" introduced by me. :)
    As it is a fail in another plug-in then, you might want to report it to its maintainer? I never tried that plug-in out to be honest.
    I might try to implement that in the future.

• Yaron

Yaron - 2014-12-31

English is not our native language. This modern Babylon of ours is responsible for the confusion. :)

Compare works like a charm.

Thank you and Happy New Year.

• Ices Eyes

Ices Eyes - 2015-01-04

Just a question. Why all these new version are not available through the plugin manager plugin? It would be very helpful :)

• Dave Brotherstone

That's my fault. I'll be publishing within a week.

• THEVENOT Guy

THEVENOT Guy - 2015-01-04

Hello UFO, and Yaron,

First of all, I wish you an Happy New Year too and that you'll enjoy time using N++ !!

Many thanks for the different improvements, especially the first two features :-) Yesterday, I just noticed this new v1.5.6.5 release. So, I did some tests, ( not as much as Yaron, of course ! ) => I haven't notice anything wrong, except for your Next and Previous shortcuts ( CTRL + Page Up and CTRL + Page Down ) that doesn't work at all, although the First and Last shortcuts work fine !

It took me some time to realize, that it's because of an improvement of the Tab feature, since version 6.4.4 of N++. Indeed, since N++ v6.4.4, you can, by default :

• Select the nth tab with the shortcuts CTRL + 1 to CTRL + 9 ( of the Numeric keypad )

• Select the Previous and Next tab, with the shortcuts CTRL + Page Up and CTRL + Page Down

To fix this problem, you can either :

• Suppress the two default shortcuts CTRL + Page Up and CTRL + Page Down ( Items 143 and 144, in the Shortcut Mapper... of the last N++ v6.7.3 )

• Change the Previous and Next shortcuts of the Compare plugin

Of course, UFO, you could, also, change the default shortcuts for the Previous and Next commands. But it's not that easy, because, in addition of the N++ shortcuts, anyone can dispose of many plugins with their own shortcuts :-(( I, personally, have a test 6.4.5 version of N++ , with more than 60 plugins installed !! ( Keep cool : it's just for testing, from time to time, and I never use them simultaneously ! )

Some months ago, I ask for the possibility to handle the Left Windows key, in the Shortcut Mapper. With that way, we could dispose of supplementary shortcuts, except, of course, for the default ones, used by Microsoft, in XP, W7 and W8 operating systems !

Best Regards,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2015-01-04
  • Yaron

Yaron - 2015-01-04

Hello guy038,

A detailed and insightful report as always.

Thank you and Happy New Year.

• UFO

UFO - 2015-01-04

@Dave:
    Thx!

@THEVENOTGuy:
    I know a bunch of other plug-in shortcuts which have been "overridden" step by step by N++'s upcoming functionalities over the years. That's just an unavoidable conflict, since the shortcut list isn't endless. Anyway always easy to "fix", just as you correctly described. Also CTRL UP + DOWN seem to be kinda default shortcuts for that functionality in other professional diff tools (e.g. Araxis Merge). Maybe some day there'll be a "temporarily force register shortcut" plug-in-API-function in N++, so that the plug-in's shortcuts cut override all others if required/wanted. Or local shortcuts, e.g. as in Visual Studio each window has its own shortcuts, although that wouldn't help in this case of course.