HexEditor v0.9.5 vs N++ v5.6.1

cchris
2009-12-09
2012-11-14
  • cchris
    cchris
    2009-12-09

The current version works correctly - apart from the F11/F12 bug in dual view -withv5.6. It is not usable with 5.6.1.

Problem: switch to hex mode, edit a couple characters in aplain ANSI file, then switch back. Still ok for basic editing. Now try to access any menu, or to execute say Ctrl+F: N++ freezes and has to be killed.

Crash occurr under WinXP Home SP3, 1Go RAM.

CChris

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-01-06

Follow-up:

I was wondering why HexEditor would work almost correctly on some machines and not at all on others. The issue I mentioned earlier occurs when HexEditor is loaded at the same time as RunMe. Otherwise, it works almost fine.

However, using it in fullscreen or post-it view still causes a win32 crash (no nppdump.dmp nor crash recovery).

WinXP Pro SP2, N++ 5.6.4 U, HE 0.9.5, latest RunmeU.dll Adding runme causes fixed menus not to work after going hex and back to text.

CChris

• Somic
    Somic
    2010-01-06

cchris,

when my plugin (anmXNpp ver 0.4.7, now MathPad ) was causing Npp to crash (no nppdump.dmp nor crash recovery) it was for an infinite set of recoursive calls to a subroutine fired by a first call to an "interface" functions (es. getName or messageProc). it was called by the Plugin Manager App when checking for updates.
    This was causing a buffer overflow to the plugin with immediate crash without debug code execution.  But this is not system dependent
    May this help?
    rgds
    ps: Happy New Year to the forum

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-01-06

The F11/F12 crash occurs when HexEditor is the only plugin being loaded, so it is omething purely interna or in its interaction with Notepad++. It is thus not related to RunMe. How the two plugins nastily interact is a matter to be sorted out by both developers perhaps.

Since the F11/F12 issue only arises in dual view mode, I strongly believe that HexEditor does not take the splitter window into account, which somehow causes the crash, possibly out of some infinite loop as you suggest.

Jens said in a NppPlugins forum post that he had found the problem. That was in september, and there has not been anything released that I'm aware of.

CChris