2015-01-11
2015-05-12
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-01-11

Session Manager 1.3

Get it here: http://mfoster.com/npp/download.html
    Read the documentation here: http://mfoster.com/npp/

After upgrading please open the Settings dialog and make sure everything is set as it was before.

Summary of changes in v1.3

• Thanks very much to Pavel Nedev, Bernd G, Leandro and CarlitoGil for suggestions and bug reports!
    • New feature: Filter is applied as characters are typed, not just when filters list loses focus.
    • New feature: New setting ("useFilterWildcards") and corresponding checkbox ("* ?") on Sessions dialog. When checked, filter can contain "*" and/or "?" wildcards. When not checked, it's a match when session name starts with filter. The matching is not case sensitive.
    • Improvement: If a file was loaded from the command-line, and auto-load was enabled, that file's tab would not be selected after the session loaded. Now, in that scenario, the first document of the first view will be activated after the session is loaded. This is somewhat of a compromise, but in most (perhaps all?) cases that first document will correspond to the first filename on the command line.
    • Improvement: Do not pop up a message box with "There were no changes" message when OK pressed on Settings dialog with no changes.
    • Improvement: Missing or new settings are added to the settings.xml file in the default order, not at the end.
    • Bug-fix: Renaming a session marked as favorite caused it to be removed instead of renamed in settings.xml and contextMenu.xml.
    • Updates to the help page.

Last edit: Mike Foster 2015-01-23
  • Pavel Nedev

Pavel Nedev - 2015-01-12

Works great Mike, thanks for this version!

• Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-01-13

Hi Pavel. Thanks very much, I appreciate your feedback!

• MrBig Ouzo

MrBig Ouzo - 2015-01-22

my loaded session is empty after closing NPP.. dont use this version

• MrBig Ouzo

MrBig Ouzo - 2015-01-22

i use now my old 0.7.1 and all is working fine

• Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-01-23

Hi Doug Henderson and MrBig Ouzo. I'm sorry you had problems with the plugin and I'll be glad to help with it.

After upgrading please open the Settings dialog and make sure everything is set as it was before. The "settings.ini" file is no longer used and can be deleted. Settings are now stored in the "settings.xml" file.

I have made many releases of the plugin but the Plugin Manager has not been making those available to everyone. That's the reason for the big change.

I will go back to the old version and then upgrade and try to reproduce the problem so I can debug it.

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edit: Mike Foster 2015-01-23
  • MrBig Ouzo

MrBig Ouzo - 2015-01-23

Now i tested on 3 PCs .. 2 Win7 and 1 XP.. all the same.

I copy sessionmgr to the plugins dir and start NPP, call Sessionmgr and see a empty list only default.npp_session. I make a new session "test" and fill it with life.. in the sessiondir i see the file file test.npp-session and see inside all files i opened..

i save the session and all is ok.. i close npp and the test.npp-session file is ok, i open npp also ok.. open sessionmgr.. ok.. load the test session and the file is empty !!!!

at XP the second problem is, i can see that special chars are witten into the settings.xml file like unicode but the file looks like Ascii and the Filters item values are damaged

• Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-01-24

Hi MrBig Ouzo, thanks very much for your testing and feedback.

I will be testing and debugging over the weekend. Thanks again

• light2some

light2some - 2015-01-24

It seemed to me, the session is set empty if the option "Auto Save" is on.

• Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-01-26

Sorry for the delay.

Hi light2some, thanks for the report.

I'm working on a fix.

• Doug Henderson

Doug Henderson - 2015-01-27

Clearing "Auto Save" preserves my session when I restart, but now I will have to remember to manually save the session.

• Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-01-27

Hi Doug, thanks for the report!

I apologize for taking so long to get this fixed but my job has been taking up all my spare time lately.

I've confirmed that the problem occurs when "Auto save" is checked but "Auto load" is unchecked. A work-around for now is to check them both.

I'm working on a fix now. Thanks very much for everyone's feedback!

• Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-01-28

Session Manager 1.3.1

Please note: If you are upgrading from a version older than v1.2 you must configure your settings again after the upgrade.

Summary of changes in v1.3.1

• Bug-fix: If auto-save is enabled and auto-load is disabled, on startup current would point to the session last loaded even tho it was not loaded on this startup, so it would get saved while no files were open. Now, if on startup and auto-load is disabled then set new previous to old current and new current to default. Thanks very much for bug reports from Doug Henderson, MrBig Ouzo and light2some!

This bug-fix does not address the problem reported by MrBig Ouzo regarding the settings.xml file becoming corrupted. I no longer have a WinXP machine to test on and have not been able to reproduce the problem on Win7.

• MrBig Ouzo

MrBig Ouzo - 2015-01-28

Hi,
    i tested under Win7 and it looks like ok.
    On XP all written Strings in settings.xml are damaged. if you show the file in a hexeditor you see between the "" non ASCII Chars like 0x01 0x03 0x05 like this

<previousSession value="È” •x"/>
    <currentSession value="*ˆ6~ Ž7~"/>
    <Filters>
    <item value="*"/>
    <item value="x"/>
    <item value="`xx "/>
    </Filters>
    <sessionDirectory value=""/>

so you cant use it

• MrBig Ouzo

MrBig Ouzo - 2015-01-29

Hi,
    i searched at the Sourcecode and i think the Problem is the MultiByteToWideChar function, there are differents between XP and Visat and higher. There are Examples as msdn

Edit:
    I compiled the source with VS2008 and changed in Properties.cpp
    wLen = ::MultiByteToWideChar(CP_UTF8, MB_ERR_INVALID_CHARS, mbPathname, -1, NULL, 0);
    and
    ::MultiByteToWideChar(CP_UTF8, MB_ERR_INVALID_CHARS, mbPathname, -1, wPathname, wLen);

then i can load my sessions and the sessionspath is corret, but the <filters> and <currentSession> are crippled

Last edit: MrBig Ouzo 2015-01-29
  • Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-01-29

Thanks very much, MrBig! I will follow-up on that. I've also found a few other places in the code that might not be unicode-safe. I'm working on it now.

• jpw411

jpw411 - 2015-02-02

Hi, I'm having trouble with code folding in the new version.

I upgraded from 0.7.1 to 1.3 and had the same problem with deleted session files as others have. Upgrading to 1.3.1 fixed that, but now I notice that code folding isn't preserved.

Folding is initially saved in the session file, but is somehow removed from the file when reloading the session.

• Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-02-02

Hi jpw411,

Thanks for your report. I'm glad v1.3.1 fixed that problem for you. I see that saving fold state per file in sessions was mentioned as a new feature in Notepad++ v6.3.1 (2013-03-17) and v6.3.3 (2013-05-05). I missed it -- I should have been watching the release notes better, sorry about that.

I will work on adding support for the folding feature as well as the problem reported by MrBig. Currently I'm a little slow on this project because my job is taking up most of my spare time right now, but I promise I will get these things done as soon as I can.

Thanks!

• jpw411

jpw411 - 2015-02-02

Thanks Mike. Session Manager saves me a lot of time, so I really appreciate all your hard work on it. I will wait patiently for your fix.

• Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-02-04

Hi jpw411, this version fixes support for folded lines. Please let me know if you have problems with it.

Hi MrBig Ouzo, this version has improvements for Unicode support. I don't know if it fixes your problem but please let me know what you find.

This version will not be made available via Plugin Manager until I've done more testing.

Session Manager 1.4

Please note: If you are upgrading from a version older than v1.2 you must configure your settings again after the upgrade.

Summary of changes in v1.4

• Bug-fix: The global properties feature was removing folded lines from session files. Folded lines are now supported in session files as well as being saved as global properties. Thanks very much for the bug report from jpw411!
    • Improvement: The current session is now saved when there is a click in the "fold" margin, but note that it is not saved when folds change via the menu or a keyboard shortcut.
    • Improvement: Better unicode support and better logging when utf8/utf16 conversions fail. Thanks very much for bug reports and feedback from MrBig Ouzo!
    • New feature: On startup the "settings.xml" and "global.xml" files, Notepad++'s "contextMenu.xml" file, and all session files are copied to a backup folder under the Session Manager configuration folder. There is a new setting for this, "backupOnStartup", but it is not on the Settings Dialog. The default value is enabled.
    • Changed the "Global bookmarks" label to "Global properties" on the Settings Dialog.
    • Made improvements and updates to the help page.

• jpw411

jpw411 - 2015-02-05

Seems to be working great. Thanks Mike!

• MrBig Ouzo

MrBig Ouzo - 2015-02-05

Hi Mike,
    now no more special chars are at the settings.xml but i cant store the Path to the sessions and nothing other like string variables previous session or sessionDirectory, all are empty

• Mike Foster

Mike Foster - 2015-02-06

Hi jpw411,
    That's great! Thanks for letting me know.

Hi MrBig,
    I'm sorry that didn't work. At least your suggestions led to improved unicode support for Session Manager -- the fact that it wrote nothing instead of writing garbage proves that. But that doesn't help with your problem, I know. Here's something else to try if you want to...

• Close Notepad++.
    • Open the settings.xml file with some other editor.
    • Set value="30" for "debugLogLevel" and for the value of "debugLogFile" set the full pathname to a log file.
    • Open Notepad++, try a few things with Session Manager, then close Notepad++.
    • In settings.xml set value="0" for "debugLogLevel".
    • Add the log file as an attachment to a post here.

I'll be thinking about what else I can try.
    Thank you!

Last edit: Mike Foster 2015-02-06
  • MrBig Ouzo

MrBig Ouzo - 2015-02-06

Hi Mike,
    i do it. after selecting the sessiondir and closing npp, i set the sessiondir directly in the settings.xml and work with my sessions
    Here is the log

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)