Help save net neutrality! Learn more.
Close

NppFTP - Timeout - Attempts SAVE but doesn't

2010-11-04
2013-03-31
  • Peter Brama

Peter Brama - 2010-11-04

This is a great pluggin….     I do alot of hand coding websites using NP++.    I use the NppFTP to open the files and make changes. 

No matter what I set for TIMEOUT, I apparently lose my FTP connection in the midst of editing a file.   When I hit SAVE, the status box shows 0% but never clocks up to 100%.   The SAVE icon dims (disables)… it thinks it saved.    Checking the FTP log, the upload failed.    If I don't catch this, I lose code if I close the window.     I have to "see" this happen, then after trying it, make a change to the code (often adding and removing a space) and then hit SAVE again, once the button is active.

Is there a fix for this?     If not, how bout a better warning or letting the SAVE button stay active so we can hit it again?

• Anonymous - 2011-05-25

Any updates on this issue?  It seems like it would be a VERY simple addition.  Has it been made in a dev channel, just no recent release to include it?  I would say this is a critical issue, the possibility of not having code updated when you click save.

Thanks!

• Peter Brama

Peter Brama - 2011-05-26

Nope… still an issue.    You would think this would be a critical fix but doesn't seem to bother anyone.

"Looks" like it saves, clears the save button… but it doesn;t.

• Anonymous - 2011-12-30

I'm having this same issue.  It's driving my crazy.  If I take more then a few minutes between saves, I lose connection to my ftp and need to do two saves, one will timeout, and the second will save.  Please fix this issue. 

• Ryan Hendra

Ryan Hendra - 2012-02-14

If you have saved the file while disconnected you should have a copy of it in the local cache (address in title bar). However, this is a very cumbersome issue as one can never tell if one is disconnected or not and then you have to wait for the timeout before doing anything else. Is there any way to change this if I don't manage my own server? (cPanel, WHM Panel?)

• Peter Brama

Peter Brama - 2012-02-14

I haven't found anything on our hosting companies site that will let us control the timeout.   I spoke with them finally and they told me it is a default unchangeable setting…. not the greatest hosting company that is for sure.

The only way I can "tell" I am disconnected is try the save and have the "status" window open so I can see if it says SAVING after CONNECTING.   If it doesn't, of course, NPP thinks it did so the save button is disabled.  I have to add a space to the end of a line or something to turn it back on.    As long as I catch it before exiting, I am ok.         I would think that NPPFTP "knows" when something doesn't connect and they should just catch that and not disable to save or retry the connection or something.   That's what I would like to see.

• Ryan Hendra

Ryan Hendra - 2012-02-14

Same here, on all counts.
    Except, an even better solution, would be for NppFTP to automatically refresh the connection every 10 mins or so (I think the timeout is 15mins / or allow us to set a refresh time) to keep the connection live.
    Still, excellent bit of software.

• globe199

globe199 - 2012-05-03

I have the same problem.  This plugin NEEDS some sort of keep-alive functionality.  The FTP connection on my host dies after about 30 sec.  If I do nothing before that, the connection gets hosed and I have to disconnect/reconnect.  This can take another 30 sec as N++ hangs during the disconnect.

I don't have to tell you how incredibly frustrating that is for a developer.  It completely destroys your productivity and concentration. 

• Yoji

Yoji - 2012-06-20

A keep-alive functionality should be made for nppftp. IMHO it isn't a big deal to code it, then it will give seamless functionality.
    Editing may take a longer time, when saving it's really annoying to close the entire Npp to skip wasting time waiting for the app to see what I already know: ftp connection is dropped.

• Yoji

Yoji - 2013-03-17

Will be there an update for this issue?
    I'm working on a web site, this server timeouts nppftp in about 1-2 minutes.
    I cannot work by disconnecting-connecting every 2 minutes. Also failing the file upload causes the whole np++ hang and whiteout.
    Why needs this issue so many forum posts to be fixed?????

Last edit: Yoji 2013-03-17
  • Yoji

Yoji - 2013-03-31

It seems that nobody cares about this VERY ANNOYING issue

Do anybody know an alternate solution?????
    I'm using pure-ftpd on my own server
    From some outside networks, the timeout is 1-2min (ANNOYING, HOW CAN YOU WORK LIKE THIS???(
    From other networks the timeout is about 5min.

Waht setting should I chnage on the server to prevent timeouts???
    This NPPFTP just freezes, doesnt tell anything, I have to close Notepad++
    How on eart this simple problem cannot be solved???? I guess it's just changing some code.

WHY IS SO HARD TO WRITE 1-2 LINE OF CODE TO SEND SOME NOOPS TO FTP SERVER EVERY MINUTE??????????????????

Last edit: Yoji 2013-03-31
  • pedro_sland

pedro_sland - 2013-03-31

If it is so easy, write the "1-2 lines" of code to fix it and submit it for inclusion in plugin manager.

Alternatively you could try another FTP client.

Please don't shout on here. We do this with our free time and work on it when we can and feel like. Positive feedback, constructive criticism, bug reports and new plugin announcements are welcome here.