FTP

2005-11-03
2012-11-14
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Nobody/Anonymous

is there an FTP plugin to Notepad ?

• Chris Severance

Chris Severance - 2005-11-03

It isn't practical to implement FTP in a plugin. An FTP tool is usually integrated as part of a project so that the remote location each file in the project is easily figured out. N++ only has minimal project management insufficient for automatic FTP management and plugins don't have access to what little there is. Implementing the entire project manager in a plugin would be a lot of work and might end up being too clunky to be useful.

I find that programs like Dreamweaver and Frontpage with excessive FTP integration end up being too poor to be of any use particularly when you learn to use Total Commander's Schronize Dirs with FTP sites. DW wants to upload on save, generally a bad idea. FP adds a lot of undesirable hidden files to keep track last modifed date. A little know-how and Total Commander, you batch upload verified working changes at the end of a session and you don't need special files to store the time and date. It's so good that I disable FTP uploads because I'd rather use Total Commander.

• HM2K

HM2K - 2006-08-21

Clearly you haven't tried EditPlus.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hint: There are programs which display remote FTP folders as regular system drives (Webdrive etc.; partly even Win Explorer) - thus any application can use remote files without the need to implement its own FTP client.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I currently use EditPlus2...which I love because I can easily connect to an ftp server, quickly and easily download edit and upload files..the best thing is that I only have to install 1 software app and the only thing I need to setup is the ftp account(s).  If Notepad++ had built in FTP support I would switch off of EditPlus2 in a heartbeat.  Obviously, FTP support is a highly desired feature, I desire it as well.

• Nobody/Anonymous

We've been using UltraEdit32(wwww.ultraedit.com) for years and it supports remote FTP editing and has every editor feature you could ever want no matter what language you're writing in.  Although it's not open source, the $39.95 is WELL worth it.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Most code editors work with FTP and even SFTP well, but N++ dosent do that. I think it is a very important feature.

Programs like NETDrive (or FTPDrive, alternative FTP net disk interface, IMHO better) is not good solution because Windows often does not work with FTP disk correctly (for examle, it attempts to read non existing lost+found folder in some cases. Often I see strange I/O errors, etc.).

Will authors create FTP and SFTP support in future?

• Isaac

Isaac - 2007-03-22

I'd also like to see FTP support

• Nobody/Anonymous

The lack of FTP support is the only reason that i dont use N++ more often, I would definitely use it as my primary script editor if it had FTP support!

• MJG

MJG - 2007-04-01

Instead of installing FTP support in Notepad++ directly, I would personally* prefer a tool running in the background that mirrored a local subdirectory to the remote host's subdirectory, updating the remote host when a local file was changed, like WinSCP's "Keep Remote Directory Up To Date" (link already posted above).

That way I'd have a local backup copy, plus I could work when the connection was down.  And Notepad++ would only see the local directory, so the file I/O would be fast and remote host updates would not impact my operations.  In addition, the solution would work for whatever tool I used, instead of having to add FTP support to other tools as well.  --Joel

*i.e., my opinion

• Nobody/Anonymous

Just try EditPlus to see how it is good using FTP support.
      -1 to N++

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'd also love to see FTP support in N++.

• Nobody/Anonymous

FTP support please!  The only reason I don't use N++ as much as I'd like to is because of the lack of FTP support.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yah, thought of switching to N++ also. Think it's much more powerful than editplus. The only problem it's it doesn't have FTP support; just <CTRL><SHIFT>S in editplus. If N++ can do that, I will definitely switch to N++, though after using for editplus for more than 5 years now.. sorry to say it here, but the editor is really good :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

SmartFTP is a good solution to use in parallel to N++, just configure it to use N++ as the default editor and configure it to automatically upload on change.

• Nobody/Anonymous

WinSCP is working for me.  It detects that I saved the file and uploads it, without having to exit N++.

• Nobody/Anonymous

FTP will be a wonderful  feature ,if N++ can support it.

• Nobody/Anonymous

pls ftp support.

if you are a linux user knowing sshfs and you are forced to use windows np++ would be a help if there where ftp support.

• Nobody/Anonymous

We need a FTP Plugin! It's serious.

• Nobody/Anonymous

There's a FTP Plugin here: http://www.mediafire.com/?2mlillnywuq

Search this list for 'ftp' and you'll find the original post about the plugin, with the author's comments.

• Nobody/Anonymous

It would be really nice to have a FTP plugin thou, since opening files on a remote centralized server even for a quickie change sometimes isn't pretty job to do. I use jEdit with FTP integration, but the editor is slow (java based) and crashes every once in a while, where N++ is fast and lightweight, it does everything better than jEdit, everything but the FTP integration, therefore I use jEdit for remote editing, and N++ for local editing. All that FTP plugin would have to do is keep trak of an absolute path (like ftp://host/path/file) instead of just a relative path, or a path dependant to the host OS, that would make me and many others really happy.

• Nobody/Anonymous

If Notepad++ had a mixed FTP/File/Project Explorer, I would use it. And I think more people would. Thank you!

• Nobody/Anonymous

yeah, indeed !!!

• Nobody/Anonymous

Me, too.. for sure.

Or, is there an FTP program out there that can run an editor in a sort of embedded window, so it'd operate like one app even though it's two?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I think the best option (at least for now) is simply implementing remote editing. No more than that.

i.e.: navigate to an ftp (through Notepad++), open a file, edit it, and every time you save it, Notepad++ will upload the edited version for you.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks