Squiggly Spell Check

2010-07-06
2013-02-06
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-06

An often under appreciated feature of the text editor, is visualized spell checking. Although not the simplest feature to implement, I found it's one I couldn't live without… and I also noted allot of jabber about it within the forums.

After my brief attempt at giving up the feature for lent, when using, Windows… I ran off and implemented it for NPP.

So, for those interested:
    http://squiggly.sourceforge.net/

Keep in mind it's alpha software… there will be bugs I'm unaware of, hey even a few that I am already aware of.

Yes, it's GPL'ed, and you can get your hands on the source using subversion:

https://squiggly.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/squiggly/trunk

Hope you like.

• Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2010-07-09

I love your plugin! It provides the one feature I've been wanting most in Notepad++.

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-10

Glad you like it… thanks!

• Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2010-07-11

I wonder if future versions can support aspell's built-in filters for HTML and LaTeX. Would be quite useful IMO.
    Also, a fast way to switch between natural languages is something a lot of people might find helpful.

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-11

Please consider showing support by rating / reviewing plug-in on the project on the source forge page:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/squiggly/

There is also a tracker setup there where you can specifically request new features.

I've have considered implementing filters, and even stubbed in hooks for support beyond the basic feature set in place. What it boils down to is a balance between what I need, and what I have time for.

Currently, it supports my needs, so the focus is on stabilizing the code base, and fixing some issues (there's a small memory leak, as well as a hack that needs to be better implemented)

After that, first comes work, then comes finishing the laundry list of back projects that are started but, undone :-)

• Dave Bleasdale

Dave Bleasdale - 2010-07-22

Does squiggly spell check work in user mode - including 'learn new words' feature?
    Dave

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-22

I'm not sure what you mean by user mode? But on the off chance that I've interpreted this correctly….

The user dictionary location is configurable, under the settings dialog ->Aspell Setting tab. The default:

- Users/%USER%/AppData/Roaming/Squiggly

There is one dictionary file for each dictionary variation. For example, if you choose en_GB, and decided Coloor was a correctly spelled word, it would be stored .aspell.en_GB.pws. You could then switch languages say to en_CA, and the Coloor word would then show up as misspelled.

Hope this clears it up?

• Dave Bleasdale

Dave Bleasdale - 2010-07-22

Thanks for the reply.

I am using Windows 7 in 'User' mode which has not got 'admin' rights. I confess that I haven't tried the Squiggly Spell Check' yet (it's sounds good) but I have used the standard Aspell l plugin and that doesn't let me 'learn' new words unless I start it specifically with my 'Admin' rights user - which is not very quick. I am hoping that Squiggly Spell Check will be a double win - adding new features and working in learn mode with my non-admin account on Windows 7.

Thanks
    Dave

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-22

Your welcome. It does indeed work as you expect, keeping custom dictionaries "per" users.

Keep in mind others have noted some issues with installation of aspell. Don't forget to add the aspell install/bin directory to your PATH environment variable AFTER installation of aspell, or it might not find the aspell dll.

• Dave Bleasdale

Dave Bleasdale - 2010-07-23

I am having the same problem with saving 'good spellings' as I did with Aspell plugin - only worse - it doesn't tell me that it is not saving them. The issue is that I am not supposed to store data on my works computer c: drive. And nor good reason - I have lost count of the custom dictionaries I have built-up and lost.

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-23

Interesting, have you looked inside the custom dictionary for the current language to see if anything is being saved?

Have you changed the location of the custom dictionaries? There is no rule that says the path needs to reside on the C: drive, it's just a default. You can change the location under "Plug-ins" -> Squiggly Spell Check -> Squiggly Settings. This pops up the dialog box. Then Click on the "Aspell Settings" tab. This will switch the settings panel to the dictionary options. At the bottom, you can select the location where Squiggly will manage your dictionary files.

If the path you provide (or the default) is invalid or you do not have access permissions to it, it will complain that it cannot access the dictionary file…. very loudly.

• UFO

UFO - 2010-07-23

hi, nice plugin!
    Tho I wish it wouldn't statically import 'aspell-15.dll', but dynamically instead.
    People don't use to put stuff into their PATH by nature :)
    Would be great if we could configure the path to it. Maybe you could simply LoadLibrary it
    and GetProcAddress your 'new_aspell_config'.
    That way we could make it portable (if you support relative config paths or something)…
    cheers

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-23

Thanks! hopefully you will added a review to the sourceforge page for the plug-in…

In fact, it doesn't statically import aspell-15.dll, it only statically imports the QT stuff, which is why it includes everything else it needs (as well as being so big). I just haven't had the personal time to write something the "looks for" an aspell install, which is why you need to install it in the path. It is open source and if you have some time, I would welcome the help, just let me know if your interested, and I'll add your log-in as a developer to the subversion repository (check in rights).

Thanks again.

• Dave Bleasdale

Dave Bleasdale - 2010-07-27

I add a a custom dictionary location - still no go.
    I changed the user rights on Notepad++ and Aspell folders - still no go.
    I noticed that the 'Add to dictionary' option was greyed out.
    I had a little think and went back to the squiggly config box and selected a dictionary (British w accents) - Success!
    I can now use squiggly spell check to its full potential.
    Thanks
    Dave

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-27

I'm very glad to hear it's working for you, it's a validating feeling to see the product actually becoming useful to people.

I'm really not sure what exactly caused the issue once you selected a valid location? I say this because Squiggly reloads all of the aspell configuration and dictionaries each time you select "OK" on the Settings Dialog Box… I'll do some research to figure out why that happened.

Hoping for your continued success…

- Karim

• Dave Brotherstone

I'm having trouble getting Squiggly to load - I've installed Aspell, added the c:\program files (x86)\aspell\bin to my PATH variable, and it says "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way".  Without the aspell1-5.dll in the path it just failed at the LoadLibrary stage.

Any ideas - I'm reluctant to add it to Plugin Manager unless I can find out why it's doing this…

Cheers,
    Dave.

• Karim Sharif

Good question… can you please forward me more details of your configuration (OS, 32/64 bit, etc…) I'll try to replicate the issue. My current setup (that it was developed on) is:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Athlon Neo Dual Core L335
    4 gig ram.

I have a new box coming in the next few days… a good opportunity to setup a similar system for testing.

- Karim

• Dave Brotherstone

That's interesting - I have a very similar setup - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    AMD Phenom quad core
    4Gb RAM.

I tried with just squiggly installed (no other plugins) and it did the same thing.  I installed the German version of aspell, from aspell.net/win32 - McAfee whinged that the english one contained a trojan! Not sure if it actually did or not…

Dave.

• Karim Sharif

I'm going to install the German version and see if I can replicate your experience.

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-29

I've been unable to replicate your problem… are you sure your using the unicode version of notepad++?

• Dave Brotherstone

lol…. yep!  Unicode 5.6.8.  Tried with an old 5.5.1 as well.

• Dave Brotherstone

Incidentally, you get an error stating that a plugin is designed for Unicode, and therefore not supported if you try a unicode plugin in ANSI notepad++ - just for your info :).

This error is failing before that test - it's the LoadLibrary call that is failing.  I tried running depends.exe on the dll, and it could find everything - so it's not a straight dependencies thing. 

I'm trying to get another plugin out at the moment, but after that's done, I'll build squiggly and see if I can replicate it in a debug version, and debug it.

Cheers,
    Dave.

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2010-07-29

You rock, thanks for the debug help. Just a note:
    - I developed it using the QT sdk / Qt Creator…
    If you have any issued compiling, let me know and I'll build a dll with debug symbols included.
    Also, it's worth double checking the md5 sum of the file:
    aaa794ed8a07bcb16ca3ae651da9846c *SquigglySpellCheck.dll

• Dave Brotherstone

Yep… I recognise that MD5!  If you end up doing another version, could you maybe add a Version resource, so the FileVersion property is set - it saves us putting the MD5 of the file in the plugins XML file… :)

Never done any QT, so that might be "fun" to build.  If you get chance to build a debug version, and want to send it over with the PDB - I'll gladly have a look (probably easier than getting the QT stuff setup), although probably not till after the weekend.  davegb at pobox dut com.

Cheers,
    Dave.

• kaykhanittha

kaykhanittha - 2010-10-04

Hi,

I also get the "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" error on windows 7 64 bits, is there any solution ?

Thanks a lot.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks